Cost Breakdown of Building Jigs

Hey guys, I recently did a little breakdown of how much cheaper it is to make your own jigs. Obviously, it’s hard to just one mold... But, for someone interested in getting started this kind of goes over what to expect cost wise.

2. Member
    I would add to this you need a toaster oven or something similar to cure the paint. That cost isn’t much.

I will also state that it will get out of hand because there is no place to stop. At least that is what happened to me. I have several molds, several thousand hooks, boxes of skirt materials, etc. and I have been looking through my Barlows and Shortys catalogs looking for more stuff to buy.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post
    I would add to this you need a toaster oven or something similar to cure the paint. That cost isn’t much.

I will also state that it will get out of hand because there is no place to stop. At least that is what happened to me. I have several molds, several thousand hooks, boxes of skirt materials, etc. and I have been looking through my Barlows and Shortys catalogs looking for more stuff to buy.
    Yessir ^^^^

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jig_Man View Post

Man... I completely forgot the toaster oven...

5. Member
    JP that was a good video. D.Moore have been at this since before you were born and are still buying stuff.

I'll bet I have spent over 50K on making baits... Not sure I have saved much.

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    "Give a man a fish and he will have food for a day"

"Teach a man to fish for bass and he will be poor for the rest of his days" ( from constantly buying all of the equipment required)

8. Member
    Cool video. I've recently been kicking around the idea of starting to make my own jigs. Helps give me an idea of what I'd be getting into initially.

His numbers are pretty good. Most of my stuff is @ 20 years old and still working. I have only a few molds and stick to basic colors so the cost stays low. I was fortunate to get a big supply of free lead a long time ago. Crappie jigs only cost pennies to make and I go through quite a few. Shaky heads work for grubs and walleye baits. I find that I throw bass jigs into junk that I would not think about with $5-7 store bought ones.

Toaster ovens are about $20 new. $5 at thrift stores.

10. Member
    Good stuff. TIP--- DO NOT go to Barlow's website and look up Order History after you have been at lure making for awhile.(or whatever site you use most) The total cost could scare you. It's addicting.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 21XDC View Post
    It would scare the heck out of me to think what I’ve spent on lure making. Like Mike I doubt it’s saved me much but it’s a heck of a lot of fun!

12. Member
    I don't even want to THINK how much I've spent over the last 46 years!!! I'm another lucky one never had to pay for lead!! Add spinner making and fly tying on top of the jigs and go into full blown cardiac arrest!!! LOL