Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar

What Do You Guys Flip In Winter?

My flipping game has gone south since the summer months and I need to step my game up!

Im not asking for a sight fishing suggestion, but hey go ahead! I like a Christie Craw for sight fishing.

The scenario I'm asking about is “blind” flipping in 2-6”. Kissimmee grass, hyacinths, reeds, cattails, general stained water “blind” flipping.

My normal set up is 50-65lb 832, 1/2-1oz weight, Orange bead with a 4.25” BPS stick worm in Green Pumpkin, Watermelon Red or June Bug.

I used to be a beaver bait guy but I’ve lost confidence. I flipped a BFE yesterday and it’s ok. I like the looks but it certainly requires a heavier weight.

Any thoughts?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

3. Member
    Gambler BB Cricket in Bowen Silver Shadow - small, compact, and not obtrusive. It has always been an excellent winter flipping bait for mats for the last 30 years. Its predecessor the 3" Allen Fire Claw was a dominant winter flipping bait before that.

Fish it on your standard flipping set up. Start with a 1 oz. weight and adjust as necessary.

4. Member
    I drop to a 3/8 - 1/2 oz weight and my go to is either a zoom speed craw. If I know I'm around big fish I'll flip a Gambler why-not with about the top 1/2" cut down. Color depends on water quality.

Here in N Florida the weeds have died to the point a 1/2 oz will punch thru just about anything

Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    Here in N Florida the weeds have died to the point a 1/2 oz will punch thru just about anything
    That is hard to fathom seeing how thick it was when I was there in late summer, early fall.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

6. Member
    1/2 weight and either a Gambler Why Not or a Zoom Magnum Finesse Worm
    Brad Krone

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hez View Post
    That is hard to fathom seeing how thick it was when I was there in late summer, early fall.
    Yup, couple nights in the 20's on Seminole it's all it takes

8. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Walter...I’m blocking you from my posts! Didn’t you say your flipping sucked earlier today??

I have the stuff you guys are talking about...maybe I really do suck as bad as I think??

I will check out the Gambler cricket, thanks! Keep telling me how I’m doing the same stuff as you all just catching dinks!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

9. Member
    As Whiteboat said cricket in Bowen silverr shadow my main bait is blk\blue pit boss in powerboat not havoc

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteboat View Post
    Gambler BB Cricket in Bowen Silver Shadow - small, compact, and not obtrusive. It has always been an excellent winter flipping bait for mats for the last 30 years. Its predecessor the 3" Allen Fire Claw was a dominant winter flipping bait before that.

Fish it on your standard flipping set up. Start with a 1 oz. weight and adjust as necessary.
    100% OLD SCHOOL, Winter cold front junk mat fishing baits. still have a few bags of the OG Allen's
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

Palatka, Fl (Go east till you smell it then turn south)
    It's my opinion that cold water flipping fish like small plastics with little action. The newest bait out there is the "Little Skunk Ape" by Bass Assassin. It just came out on the market and I've been crushing them on it.
    Bass caught YTD: 62 Largest Bass YTD: 7.25

http://www.facebook.com/pages/...=wall

12. Member
    I like flipping my recliner. Lol. IMO it is less about the bait vice reps. If you fish with a great flipper they will out pace you 5-1 flips. I like flipping without my weight pegged. Takes some getting use to but comes to you. Moreover, I think pitching a flipping gets confused. I like Japense baits for flipping. Finally, here is an old video from a legend I keep in my folder.

13. Member
    For all you guys that like the BB Cricket you need to try the new version by Terry Scroggins.. I believe it’s called the Big Show Punch Bug.. He tweaked the body design to have a little thicker body.. Holds a hook much better with the same body style and size as the OG Fire Craw.. Terry was able to purchase all of Peter Allen’s molds through Peter’s family..

Yes the Seminole bass will eat them ��

They did last week anyway ��

14. fish8503@yahoo.com GOTTA BIG SACK's Avatar
    2021 Skeeter ZX150
    2020 Sea Doo GTI se 170

15. Member
    Lots of different pitching baits. Most are good. I do like all the Gambler baits, Cricket, craw daddy and the Burner Craw. Reaction Inovations makes killer baits, Beaver and Kinky Beaver are my favorites. If I had to pick just 1 to pitch forever it would be the Missile D-Bomb, caught so many good fish on it in Florida.
    Never ever neglect pitching a Medlock double weed guard jig with a chunk to the cover you mentioned. It’s a killer bait and a big fish catcher for sure.

16. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Our water temps are hovering around 57 now but you guys are still using flipping baits with action huh? The 4.25” stick-o works so well in the dead of summer that I figured it would be a good choice in winter when they want less action.

Hopefully Sunday I will put some in the boat after this cold front comes through, glad my tourney isn’t tomorrow!

17. Banned
    See if You can find a sack of the Producto™ Tournament Worm the one that smells like grapes and a 3/4 oz pegged weight and get to the heart/middle of what it is You're targeting. When You're still thawing out after that first run in the a.m. start out in the West/Northwest side