Banned

Hornady Superformance .308 150 gr SST

Anyone use these? Only 2 bullets shot with my Savage.308 model 11,Remington 150 gr Core-Lokt,now Hornady American Whitetail 150 gr which i can get 2" groups at a 100 yds.Well i am running low all i can find is Hornady Superformance it was pricey $39.99 plus shipping sure hope my rifle shoots them good for that price.

2. Member
    The odds of any given ammunition shooting good in a random rifle is a crapshoot. Some will report back that it shoots great and some will report that it shoots like crap and they will both be right.

FWIW I have always considered Hornady to produce the most consistent ammo as compared to all the other mass produced ammo companies.

The SST bullets are a good consistent bullet that handloaders have used for years so that is a good start.

I've used them in a couple different calibers. 1 rifle shot them great the other was fair. The sst is a proven killer on medium game.

4. Member
    I use the SST in .243-95 grain on whitetail. They shoot accurate out of my browning x bolt. Longest kill was 250 yds. I’m not a hand load guy, but for box factory ammo SST is hard to beat.

The superformance line should be a little faster than most others, I like them in 30-06
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

6. Member
    All my rifles handle Hornady ammo with 1" or less groups at 100 yards. When not shooting hand loads my son does for me my favorite is Hornady BTSP ammo. I have shot the SST but just prefer the BTSP on deer size game. I wouldn't worry about the Hornady, switched over 30 years ago from Federal Premium. Before deer season I check 3 of my rifles with both hand loads and factory. The groups are basically the same except for the elevation. Hand loads shoot a little flatter but not by much. Barnes X bullet is what my son loads for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    All my rifles handle Hornady ammo with 1" or less groups at 100 yards. When not shooting hand loads my son does for me my favorite is Hornady BTSP ammo. I have shot the SST but just prefer the BTSP on deer size game. I wouldn't worry about the Hornady, switched over 30 years ago from Federal Premium. Before deer season I check 3 of my rifles with both hand loads and factory. The groups are basically the same except for the elevation. Hand loads shoot a little flatter but not by much. Barnes X bullet is what my son loads for me.
    Barnes Bullets are excellent! I’ve used them with great success on deer and elk.

8. Member
    Not a fan of the sst atleast not the 165 out of a 308. I think they were designed for the 300 win mag and just don't open up well. The only buck I shot with one was a heavy mature 170. I hit him back in the ribs at about 100 yards and it just simply drilled a hole thru him I could stick my pinky in. I now shoot 165 fusion factory.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

9. Member
    Out of my 25-06 and .243 the terminal performance is awesome. Deer rarely take a step, also shoot 1” groups at 100 yds out of both guns.

10. Member
    My Kimber 84M .308 shoots the 150 gr. Hornady SST handloads quite well. Terminal performance on White tails has been fine. Accuracy runs 3/4" to 1" at 100 yards with 2 different powders. Alliant RL 15 and IMR 4064 are very good in MY rifle. YMMV
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

I shoot the 165s out of one of my 308s with great results..my 270 is set with sst ammo as well...will be moving another 308 to 150gr sst this year..it's good stuff..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

I wonder since Remington sold there ammo plant if the new buyers will make Core-Lokt anymore? I sure hope so because those shot the best from my 30-06. I've looked all over and can't find stock anywhere like a bunch of other ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER487 View Post
    I wonder since Remington sold there ammo plant if the new buyers will make Core-Lokt anymore? I sure hope so because those shot the best from my 30-06. I've looked all over and can't find stock anywhere like a bunch of other ammo.
    Check out gun broker but be prepared to pay.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RANGER487 View Post
    Ammo is very hard to find both local and online.Hope we see some improvement once hunting season is over.I need to stock up made a big mistake letting my supply get this low,have enough for hunting,but not for the range.

Remington Core-Lokt 150 gr shot ok with my .308.But i like Hornady better now.

MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

Quote Originally Posted by EKYRanger View Post
    Check out gun broker but be prepared to pay.
    Will check it out thanks

17. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    My 30 06 loves the Superformance SST 165gr you can feel the difference! Also using it in a 7mm08 139gr. Both shoot amazing groups with it especially the custom 06 so far farthest tracking job for either on whitetail was 15'.