Banned

cold start procedure

I've got a 1997 Johnson Venom 200[ carbed] model# J200STLEUB any tricks to starting these motors in 40 degree weather?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Google cold start procedure for 1997 johnson venom 200. Results will show a BBC thread for a 98 venom difficulty starting & look on down & one of the fellows has a good explanation of it. I was going to explain, but haven't had your style controls in years & don't want to tell you wrong because they can be finicky when starting for sure.
    Last edited by Les Young; 01-10-2021 at 09:20 AM.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    1 Trim motor to level or slightly below level position. 2 Pump primer bulb until tight. 3 Turn key into on position. 3 Push in key for 8 seconds to activate enrichemnt valve which is most often called the choke. Do this 2 times & some motors will need 3 times. 4 Hold in on key & crank until it starts. 5 Then leave alone until fast idle kicks out which will be when your motor gets to the best i remember is 145 degrees. It will go to a 10 second fast idle every time it's started too. Let it do it's thing & you'll be good to go. Even when launching for a tournament in summer i follow the starting procedure to a tee because i was told by BRP that if i didn't it would eventually cause lower unti failure. I follow these steps everytime i launch mine & i've never had any lower unit trouble whatsoever with an evinrude or johnson motor both older or newer. Sounds like a lot to do i know, but it's really simple & only takes a minute when it's your normal routine it becomes second nature.
    Thanks for the help. "Push in key for 8 seconds to activate enrichemnt valve" do I push key in and hold it in or push key in continuously for 8 secs? also, do I push the white button on the bottom of my shifter to increase idle in neutral before turning key to start ?
    Last edited by slickrick6922; 01-10-2021 at 09:20 AM.

4. Member
    I agree with Les Young.I have a 2001 Johnson 225HO and follow the same procedure with the addition of depressing my hotfoot throttle about a 1/3 of the way. I always let my motor warm up well until fast idle stops, especially in cold water.

5. Banned
    now he says do this 2 or 3 times, do I turn the key off then back to on each time, or just let key out and then hold another 8 secs.?
    Last edited by slickrick6922; 01-10-2021 at 09:45 AM.

Quick-Start on carb engines - hard starting cold

Make sure the battery has enough capacity and in good shape, no wing nuts, only lockwashers and hex nuts fastening the cable terminals to the posts, and that the starter is working correctly. The motor has to turn over at a fast enough rpm to generate the voltage needed to activate the electronic ignition and send a strong spark to the plugs.

If the engine is in good shape and in good state of tune with properly gapped plugs, do not use the throttle when starting, it should be left at dead idle.

The built in QUICK Start feature keeps a higher idle speed until the motor warms up.
    Trim the motor all the in first.

Hold the primer ball vertical with the arrow facing up and squeeze until it is rock hard.

Turn the key to ON and press in for 3 -5 seconds then turn to START while still holding the key in.

If the motor is in good shape it will fire off in less than 10 seconds. In very cold weather you may have to "tickle" the motor by pressing the key IN momentarily if the motor starts to falter as it warms up.

Once the motor is warm, it should start every time.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

7. Banned
    thanks Guys, followed yall's instruction and it fired right up

8. Member
    Rick, the reason i changed what i wrtoe was when i saw your control i thought it was the one where you push in to disengage shifter to put in neutral & then push shifter forward to activate the fast idle. What i originally wrote works for mine every time, but i have a different control then you. Sorry for the confusion & that's why i said google it.

9. Banned
    tks for the help, I got it figured out with you guys help.