Sutton Lake Access Area

If you've fished Sutton Lake outside Wilmington, you've probably had to deal with a pot holed and muddy launch/parking area. It's got worse over the last few years and as far as I know, the North Carolina WRC did one minor repair early in 2020 that lasted about a month. The mud and water never go away, even after a week or more of dry weather. There's no drainage and the water sits in the holes. The large holes in front of the launching ramp get refilled every time a rig comes out of the water. Take your shiny rig there and you can count on needing to wash your truck and boat when you get home. Plus what a mess to walk from your truck back and forth to the boat.

I'm not above getting a little muddy, that's part of the outdoors. But, this is much more than that. In 2013, the WRC did a nice job updating the docks, the fishing pier, and the layout of the parking lot. Why they stopped and did not pave the lot makes no sense. Nothing major has happened since then.

Pics attached were taken last week after a few days of dry weather.

I'm just an individual who uses the access area often and want to see it brought up to decent standards. I'd love to hear from others individuals and clubs who share my concerns. Perhaps if we bring enough attention to this, we can get some action. PM's are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

It was pretty bad. I was there a week ago.
    Eric Goff
    2019 Nitro Z20
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s
    model #12500033A
    SB590181

3. Member
    I would forward the pictures on to NCWRC. Anytime I have had a question or concern someone did respond back to me.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Fear View Post
    I would forward the pictures on to NCWRC. Anytime I have had a question or concern someone did respond back to me.
    Thanks, I sent an email with pics last week. An earlier email describing the problem but without pics, December 28, 2020, to the Land and Water Access Division Chief got this reply: "Our plan is to add some gravel and do some grading to provide a short-term solution. We will then work with our engineers and Duke Energy to determine a more long-term, permanent solution."

While his response and message are appreciated, it's the same reply I got when I emailed a different person back in 2019.

I'm not confident much, if anything, will be improved. I'm hoping to get enough people asking for action that we actually get something done.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

5. Banned
    Sometimes you wonder how in the world we came this far with people like we have now running the bussinesse/companies.

Just like our NC registration fees went up solely to pay for dredging in the ICW, the State should pay to have that parking lot paved and adjoining drainage area addressed.
    Craig
    USMC Retired
    2019 Nitro Z18 w/Dual Consoles
    2019 Mercury 175 Pro XS

Psalm 29:3 The voice of the Lord is upon the waters: the God of glory thundereth: the Lord is upon many waters.

Thanks for replies! I've been in contact with a rep for TeamBassmasters, who puts on some great tournaments. He's going to present this issue to their membership in an upcoming meeting to see if they want to help. If you're a member, please give your support in the meeting.

If anyone is a member of another club or group who might want to help, please let your club or group know about this and/or let me know who I should contact.

A very well know guide here in the eastern NC who guides on Sutton occasionally, has joined this effort. I'll be contacting others and if you know one, let me know.

Again, thanks to all.
    Last edited by Coastal Mountaineer; 01-12-2021 at 03:14 PM.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90