Thread: Tin rig value

Tin rig value

Hello, I am looking into purchasing a 1997 welded mod v aluminum boat with a 50hp Yamaha and a galvanized trailer also 1997. . The boat is 16ft and has a side console. It is in rough shape cosmetically but everything works as it should. There are no leaks either. Does 3k sound like a good deal. I do not know much about tin rigs and what their value is like, but I want something I can fix up and turn into a decent rig for river fishing and to hopefully get into a little saltwater fishing. Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    Yes. It is worth the $3000. Be sure to have the motor checked out by a competent mechanic. That is a great little motor, but it is getting a little age on it. I have a buddy with almost the same exact setup and I fish from the boat a good bit. His has a 40 Yamaha of about the same year. Have the motor checked out. Also most of the boats around that age had wooden floors and decks. Walk around and make sure there are no soft spots where the wood might be rotting. If those two things check out and there are no leaks, go for it.... It is worth the 3 grand. A rebuild on the Yamaha is about $3K and a new motor is about $7K. So be sure to check the compression and gear oil and such by a good mechanic...might cost $100...money well spent.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

3. Member
    If it runs and floats it’ll bring 5K around here. The aluminum boats stay strong on re-sell for a long time.

4. Member
    I would say yes. Also agree to have the motor checked. Up until three years ago I was running a 1986 Yamaha 70 on my previous boat. Ran strong and never failed me. The only issue I had with it was two oil reservoirs going bad. The original one started parting at the mold seam after 20+ years and the for some reason the threads on the neck for the cap came off.
    2018 Tracker Pro Team 190 TX
    115 Mercury Pro XS 4S

Being in NC and you said Saltwater, I would lift the boat and look where it sits on the bunks. Check for pitting / pin holes.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

6. Member
    It sits on a roller trailer, could this still cause the same issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeter00185 View Post
    It sits on a roller trailer, could this still cause the same issues?
    No worries!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

8. Banned
    have motor checked (compression check) and look for cracks in welds.

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That motor will literally last forever when taken care of. If it’s functional 3k would sell fast here in Florida! Check the steering cable, that’s one thing that may need to be replaced.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV