Lose pedestal while fishing sitting down

If you’re like me and have to sit while you fish you know that as the day goes on and you spin in the seat a threaded pedestal will back out almost a full turn and start to wobble

So I did this

You buy a flush latch and mount it to the pedestal
    Then drill a hole in the deck corresponding to the latch pin
    And this will keep the pedestal from turning

Flush Latch.jpg

ss-bushing2.jpg

ss-bushing1.jpg
    "The handicapped angler"

2. Member
    That is an awesome tip!!
    I can only do that on my rear pedestal as for some reason my 2020 PT 175 TXW front pedestal does not thread in. I am not sure if the mfg did a bogus install, or was by design.

3. Member
    I like it but am a bit confused. "You buy a flush latch and mount it to the pedestal" Do you have a pix of it installed? I think I know what you mean ..but????

Quote Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
    I like it but am a bit confused. "You buy a flush latch and mount it to the pedestal" Do you have a pix of it installed? I think I know what you mean ..but????
    sorry this pic doesn't show the entire latch but since its just 2 screws it should be easy to figure out

ss-bushing2.jpg
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    Thanks. Now I see it. The fatter gray tube is the seat support. Duhhhhh. Regards

6. Member
    So it is similar or like or could be a door flush latch like used on a double door opening where one door stays shut until the flush latch is released.
    Rocket

Great idea!! My rear seat post has wallowed the threads from being loose and the noise drives me crazy when my son is moving around back there. I think I will buy a new pedestal and make this improvement on it.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

8. Member
    This maybe a dumb question I am about to ask, if so don't roast me to bad !! Can this be done to a hydraulic seat pedestal my Triton has threaded pedestals and they are tight but during the day they will loosen to. this would be great but I don't know how the hydraulic tube is made. where is the fluid at ? is it that low? I don't an to put screws in and mess up

9. Member
    I'm not the OP, but I imagine that you could fasten the device on with two stainless steel hose clamps. It would not be as solid as the original, but.....

10. Member
    Rich not being a smart butt or nothing but my OCD would never let me do that to the newest boat I have ever owned.. Not a mother ship to a lot of people but for me I love it and that would be the first thing I would look at every time I got near it !! but I believe that would work though !

11. Member
    Function over Form! Ha Ha. Actually, I fully agree, even if it was on my old tinny.

Now then, I JUST got a 3D printer. Just like a guy who gets a welder or soldering iron, you are looking for things that you can make just to use your new toy.

I can easily imagine making a BEAUTIFUL Black/Red/White "cuff" that would slip on/over and fully cover the ugly pipe clamp. Heck, it WOULD be the first beautiful thing that you looked at when you got on the boat!!! Ha Ha rich

Quote Originally Posted by tinybounce View Post
    This maybe a dumb question I am about to ask, if so don't roast me to bad !! Can this be done to a hydraulic seat pedestal my Triton has threaded pedestals and they are tight but during the day they will loosen to. this would be great but I don't know how the hydraulic tube is made. where is the fluid at ? is it that low? I don't an to put screws in and mess up
    Maybe this would work...cut a piece of inner tube about the diameter of your seat pedestal. Cut a hole in the middle and push it up past the threaded post. The rubber inner tube should act as a washer. Tighten the pedestal down and the rubber washer should hold it in place.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinybounce View Post
    I think you could take one of the fastners shown and use a couple hose clamps around your pedestal and it work fine after drilling a hole for the plunger.
    Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by 375VTROCKET View Post
    I think you could take one of the fastners shown and use a couple hose clamps around your pedestal and it work fine after drilling a hole for the plunger.
    I can confirm that hose clamps work
    A buddy of mine saw what I did and he used the clamps rather then drill holes and it works just fine
    "The handicapped angler"

15. Member
    I'll second the hose clamps idea, especially on a hydraulic pedestal. My front seat gets loose and I waste a hell of a lot of time tightening it. It will also allow you to adjust the position of the latch if nercessary.

I will definitely try this lock method, it seems like a sterling idea. Thank you.

Ordered one (SS Model) this morning, 1/28/2021.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 01-28-2021 at 07:03 AM.

16. Member
    The rubber washer does not work did that still find myself twisting it tight ever so often. great idea going to try something like this soon maybe involve some aluminum tube and welding for a clean look!Thanks for the Ideas guys.

17. Member
    Put a fat "O" ring that fits snug to the pin, tighten. No more loose post, been doing it for years

18. Member
    Bought a barrell latch on Amazon, but it looks rather weak. Anyone have a part number or source for one that is marine grade, or at least stainless steel that has a proven track record? I bought this one and I will try it if I can't find something that looks stronger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm putting this one on order then: Wish Lowes carried one like this but I can't find one on line:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2APX1MPF&psc=1
    Last edited by billnorman1; 02-02-2021 at 07:03 AM.

Noticed someone asking how to lock a threaded post in another forum so thought this needed to be bumped up
    "The handicapped angler"