Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Parish View Post
    Gainesville Florida a few years ago. Winter nationals.
    Never knew they offered anything like that at those speeds

Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Never knew they offered anything like that at those speeds
    I've never seen or heard of it, not at those speeds anyway.
    USMC Vet!

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I can grasp all those facts about the power they produce. What blows my mind is the tires sticking to the track to transfer all that torque.
    10-4 A must see event! I saw them run at Thunderbird Drag Strip in AZ.

It’s the clutch pacs. Another thing most never think about—— the tires growing, it changes the final ratio tremendously. They are one run wonders, not a cheap sport

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    It’s the clutch pacs. Another thing most never think about—— the tires growing, it changes the final ratio tremendously. They are one run wonders, not a cheap sport
    If im not mistake at a certain point down the track the spark plugs arent doing anything they are dieseling.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    If im not mistake at a certain point down the track the spark plugs arent doing anything they are dieseling.
    I read an article that said that you cant shut them off, they need to run out of fuel and still diesel for a bit.
    Only way to shut them down.

6. dartag1829
    Quote Originally Posted by pa.X19 View Post
    I read an article that said that you cant shut them off, they need to run out of fuel and still diesel for a bit.
    Only way to shut them down.
    They have a remote control shut off switch a crew member operates.

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...-safety-device

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dartag1829 View Post
    They have a remote control shut off switch a crew member operates.

http://competitionplus.com/drag-raci...-safety-device
    Ok so do they shut them off after every pass? even without an incident or just let them run out of fuel?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I can grasp all those facts about the power they produce. What blows my mind is the tires sticking to the track to transfer all that torque.
    10-4 A must see event! I saw them run at Thunderbird Drag Strip in AZ.
    It is hard to believe they can create enough friction to transfer that much torque!
    One part of creating that friction is they apply traction compound to the track that makes the surface extremely sticky. It is so sticky that it is easy to walk right out of your shoes if they aren’t tied tightly.
    I am amazed at how the crew chiefs can balance all the adjustments needed for the constantly changing atmospheric and track conditions.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by B Holmes View Post
    It is hard to believe they can create enough friction to transfer that much torque!
    One part of creating that friction is they apply traction compound to the track that makes the surface extremely sticky. It is so sticky that it is easy to walk right out of your shoes if they aren’t tied tightly.
    I am amazed at how the crew chiefs can balance all the adjustments needed for the constantly changing atmospheric and track conditions.
    The clutches in the fuel cars slip is the word I will use and lock up on down the track. Other wise they would just burn the tires off. If you ever watch the real early days the fuel cars smoked the tires all the way down the quarter mile. I wish they still ran the full quarter mile. But the speeds r to great. I would have rather seen the NHRA just limit the percentage of nitro and let them run the full quarter mile.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesville88fan View Post
    The clutches in the fuel cars slip is the word I will use and lock up on down the track. Other wise they would just burn the tires off. If you ever watch the real early days the fuel cars smoked the tires all the way down the quarter mile. I wish they still ran the full quarter mile. But the speeds r to great. I would have rather seen the NHRA just limit the percentage of nitro and let them run the full quarter mile.
    My understanding is that they cut the distance back because a driver was killed because in part to inadequate runoff room at the end of the track. IMO they should have mandated additional runoff room an not go to tracks that did not meet the new requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    My understanding is that they cut the distance back because a driver was killed because in part to inadequate runoff room at the end of the track. IMO they should have mandated additional runoff room an not go to tracks that did not meet the new requirement.
    Speed gains in the last 10 to 15 years caused them to basically run out of the track at the land locked tracks so in order to be able to still run them there they opted for 1,000 feet. Now they are running faster then they were at the full 1/4 mile.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

12. Member
    Yes, over 10,000 horsepower. Latest estimates put it at 12,000. Don’t think that they hear anything like what a bystander would. Ears are plugged and some even tape their ears. In a dragster the engine is behind the driver so it wouldn’t be as loud as a Funny Car. I guess the loudest noise is when one of them detonates and tosses the blower. I have driven a lot of Rail Cars and the noise isn’t as bad as my 900 HP bracket car was. If you haven’t seen one live in person you will never be able to understand the sound they make. At idle they sound like popcorn popping. A very big bag of popcorn!

13. Member
    Those funny cars have to be one of the most intimidating machines to operate for a novice.

I have fished on South Holston several times while nhra was at Thundervalley in Bristol.It is 15 miles away to the lake and you can here them run.

15. dartag1829
    Scott Kalitta son of Connie Kalitta was killed when his engine blew and he had a firy crash. Then they changed the distance to 1000 feet.

16. Member
    It was amazing. When I made that run I actually had two crankbaits in the water and one got hit just as I let off the gas...
    Quote Originally Posted by wldblueyes4you View Post
    That’s amazing!

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Those funny cars have to be one of the most intimidating machines to operate for a novice.
    They are letting novice run T/F and F/C now??

in my files somewhere I have a picture of a young lady (16) that just moved up to Alter. She put down 189 mph in the 1/8.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    They are letting novice run T/F and F/C now??

in my files somewhere I have a picture of a young lady (16) that just moved up to Alter. She put down 189 mph in the 1/8.
    I am talking about someone that may be an experienced racer that gets in a fuel funny car for the first time.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kb444fishing View Post
    Watching today and had a thought. How much sound do you think the top fuelers hear going down the track. There out in front of the engine going that fast away from the sound right. Just a crazy thought I've always wondered.
    It's about 150 dB at 200 feet. For comparison sake, a jet fighter aircraft in full burner is about 130 dB at 50 feet. Every 10 dB is double the volume. So 150 dB is 4x the volume of 130 dB.

They are loud. A Top Fuel engine at full power will cause permanent hearing damage without ear protection. At the right angle and distance from the pipes where you would receive the full effect of the sound waves without attenuation, 150 dB is enough to cause internal damage in your body as well. Fortunately, nobody is directly above the cars when they run to receive that full effect, so it is attenuated somewhat. But it still hurts if you're standing right by the fence.

Top Fuel engines are the most powerful piston engines, per unit of displacement, ever built by the human race. As someone else posted, they actually do have a life expectancy of less than 1,000 revolutions of the crankshaft at full power. The horsepower is calculated, not measured with a dyno. They use the physics calculations for acceleration of a car with 2,000 lbs of mass and apply the formulas for how much horsepower to produced to do that. Example, one SAE horsepower is 33,000 lbs lifted one foot in one minute, or 550 lb-ft of work done per second. That can be applied horizontally against several G's (1 G is 32 ft/sec^2 acceleration) of acceleration. Then the calculated losses in tire slippage and friction are applied to come up with an approximate amount of horsepower produced at the flywheel. These calculations are done every run to track the effects density altitude (temperature and humidity of the air), and track friction coefficient to come up with the setup in the car before it makes the run.

Some track and air conditions simply can't use it all, so the setup with the weights on the Crower clutch fingers, ignition advance curve, and fuel pump pressure is adjusted to match the track. On a good day where the full power of the engine can be used, those things are adjusted to prevent the engine from "lugging" below about 6,800 rpm at mid-track, which would grenade the engine.

It is a highly technical sport. Only the best of the best with years of experience get to be crew chief on a Top Fuel car. NASCAR crew chiefs need not apply for the job.

20. Novice Boaters Forum Moderator jclark408's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsoonerfan View Post
    Give it time, there are probably many former world record holders here.
    LoL!!!!!
    ------Co-founder of Post Derailment, LLC---------

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast