Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 12poundbass View Post
    Make sure you go to the pits and stand next to a funny car while they’re testing it. Your nose and eyes will love it! Lol
    Never been in a T/F, I know the drivers wear earplugs. Was in the pits at Heartland ( Topeka) was standing outside the Force pit. Place was packed, saw one of the crew put a respirator on and started getting in behind the wheel. Someone else said “ we’re going to fire it up” My cousin and I are fighting our way through the crowd —— going the other way. We get about 30 feet before it roared and the plume of Nitromethane filled the air. Turned and looked back—— daymn, lot of space around the transporter now.

F/C you sit behind the engine, loud, stinky, and wearing Nomex—— has to suck

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    If you've never been to an NHRA Top Fuel event, I recommend going at least once. The power and noise is incredible! Bring ear plugs. Sit about half track, too. You'll feel the power pounding on your chest.
    agreed. I’ve been once and when those engines are ripping you feel it deep in your chest. And i was surprised how much side to side motion they have running down the strip. Way more impressive in person than on tv.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    Would be pretty loud since as said they are not exceeding the speed of sound but they should have appropriate hearing protection in place. TV doesn't do it justice and seeing/ experiencing it in person is super cool!

4. Banned

Now add water

better in a RED than a FED where you are eating everything
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post

Now add water
    That’s amazing!

7. Member
    2019 Ranger Z185
    veteran

Quote Originally Posted by AirForceAngler View Post
    If you've never been to an NHRA Top Fuel event, I recommend going at least once. The power and noise is incredible! Bring ear plugs. Sit about half track, too. You'll feel the power pounding on your chest.
    And keep you mouth closed. If you take the little ones make sure they do the same.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by 20DC BULLET View Post
    Alot of Great information here, but a little dated. A Top Fuel motor produces approximately 11,000 horsepower...NO, not a typo. They're only running to 1000 feet not the full quarter mile. The Top Fuel record is 3.623 seconds @ 338 mph...believe it or not, the FunnyCar record, by Robert Hight is 339mph...they are both awesome and amazing to watch...and the fuel consumption is just a hair under 2 Gallons per second!!! Ohhh, and the fuel costs $1450 for 40 Gallons...they're trying to bring that cost down!! Lol lol
    Yes much closer to todays figures. Thanks for posting. Nothing else like a Nitro HEMI

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Parish View Post
    It's crazy loud.. I've done the ride along in a two seater at 267 mph.
    Where the heck did you do that ???? You cant even do a ride a long at the local track near me. And they arent exactly blasting T/F down the track.

11. Member
    Larry, we must have been brothers.
    You helped me with the Skeeter for which I am truly grateful and now the old timer TF cars.
    I used to run them too but a long time ago.

12. Member
    Eddie Hill started started drag racing on the water & eventually went to pavement. Huge crash in 97 at Sonoma & he was back at track seemingly unscathed in a few hrs after being airlifted to hospital. And having stood NEXT TO & not behind jet engines on test stands, these 8 piston bombs make every bit as much noise as a GE F110-100 in full afterburner.

13. Banned
    Leah Pruett

Wow and she's Hot!

14. Member
    Everyone should experience it live. TV does not justify it, just like dirt track racing. Once you see it live, it changes your view on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by f16 1ub View Post
    And having stood NEXT TO & not behind jet engines on test stands, these 8 piston bombs make every bit as much noise as a GE F110-100 in full afterburner.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Parish View Post
    It's crazy loud.. I've done the ride along in a two seater at 267 mph.
    Larry Dixon?

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Where the heck did you do that ???? You cant even do a ride a long at the local track near me. And they arent exactly blasting T/F down the track.
    Check this out, it ain't cheap though.

https://frankhawley.com

Leah is a hottie.

When we were racing my buddy Mike was running his lightweight 64 Galaxy ( which is for sale now $150K) and was pitted close to us. His wife at the time was Pam, she was a blonde bombshell, if you looked up smokin in the dictionary there would be a pic of her. Pam had on a pair of HotPants, there she was, bent over the front fender of that 64 Shirley Muldowney walks by, raises her sunglasses up, looks at Pam, then at Mike

Ah, those were the days hard to believe almost 50 years have passed since those days

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    Gainesville Florida a few years ago. Winter nationals.

I can grasp all those facts about the power they produce. What blows my mind is the tires sticking to the track to transfer all that torque.
    10-4 A must see event! I saw them run at Thunderbird Drag Strip in AZ.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast