Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Active Target Unboxing and Installation Video

Just posted a video of my unboxing and installation of Active Target. Not a great production because I was in a hurry, but you will get the idea of what is involved, and how to mount the black box (without bubble-wrap).

ciao,
    Marc

Awesome!!!!! Congrats Marc. Videos on the water tomarrow!! Cant wait

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Awesome!!!!! Congrats Marc. Videos on the water tomarrow!! Cant wait
    Ha Ha, I wish...but going to be a week before I can get a break in the weather.
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    Ha Ha, I wish...but going to be a week before I can get a break in the weather.
    Lol...we are all waiting on you ya know. Froze up where I am.

5. Member
    slacker! Get them video's posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yupitsme View Post
    slacker! Get them video's posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ha Ha; Believe me, I am dying to get on the water! Also just swapped out my 47" Ghost to my 52" Ghost so have to get that calibrated and in use also! So much fishing, so little time! At least I am not frozen like Bloodman...
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Banned
    Sweet! They boxed that baby really nicely. Good looking Ranger, if I ever buy a new boat, it’s going to be that color. Gave you a and a subscribed.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Sweet! They boxed that baby really nicely. Good looking Ranger, if I ever buy a new boat, it’s going to be that color. Gave you a and a subscribed.
    Thanks Grout!
    ciao,
    Marc

9. Member
    Very nice Marc, thanks!

10. Member
    Well done Marc. I've got the same boat so your ideas for running the wires from front to back to front are gonna be useful. I also have the 3D box close to where yours is. I like your idea of using the ethernet port on the 3D. Do you lose anything by not wiring it directly to your bow unit or is it all the same?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgreig2 View Post
    Well done Marc. I've got the same boat so your ideas for running the wires from front to back to front are gonna be useful. I also have the 3D box close to where yours is. I like your idea of using the ethernet port on the 3D. Do you lose anything by not wiring it directly to your bow unit or is it all the same?
    Thanks. The great thing about ethernet is that it is generally all the same wherever you connect to the network. I plan to buy a 2' ethernet cable to replace the 15' one that links my Active Target box to my 3D Structure Scan box. I also plan to replace my old gray ethernet cables to the new black ones after seeing how more robust the black ones are.
    ciao,
    Marc

12. Member
    Following

Good video. Thank you!
    Hopefully the next gen Ghost motors will come with a prewire option for active target.

North End of Beautiful Norfork Lake...MO/AR Border

Nice Video Marc! I do have a question for you. I watched another video a few days back on the install of the Active Target and he mentioned that the box itself had a place for a chassis ground that was on the box itself and he used a fairly heavy gauge wire and grounded it to a distribution block that went back to the main battery in the boat. Did you do that on your install as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    Nice Video Marc! I do have a question for you. I watched another video a few days back on the install of the Active Target and he mentioned that the box itself had a place for a chassis ground that was on the box itself and he used a fairly heavy gauge wire and grounded it to a distribution block that went back to the main battery in the boat. Did you do that on your install as well?
    Found it on Lowrance site
    "GroundingThe grounding terminal is DC isolated from power to eliminate the risk of galvanic corrosion.For installations that suffer from noise issues, the grounding terminal allows for the option to connect to various possible ground points. The grounding point can be the vessel’s bonded ground/earth, non bonded RF Ground, or battery minus (DC negative). It is recommended to use a 4 mm2 (12 AWG) or thicker wire.¼Note: No DC power will flow through the connected conductor."
    Last edited by bloodman; 01-10-2021 at 12:14 PM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    No, I did not install the ground since I am told it is unlikely to be needed. I am very particular about making sure I take every possible step to prevent interference and galvanic corrosion. If I use the motor in tidal water galvanic corrosion is more likely, and I will probably then add the ground wire. The beauty of my install in the rod locker is that I can easily add the ground wire at any time without having to pullout the unit to do it. I will be paying attention to my Ghost skeg to see if galvanic corrosion starts.
    ciao,
    Marc

18. Member
    Great video and install Marc! Very well done. Your Ranger looks to be like brand new
    2019 Ranger Z520C DC / 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassin Bob71 View Post
    Great video and install Marc! Very well done. Your Ranger looks to be like brand new
    Thank you!
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    No, I did not install the ground since I am told it is unlikely to be needed. I am very particular about making sure I take every possible step to prevent interference and galvanic corrosion. If I use the motor in tidal water galvanic corrosion is more likely, and I will probably then add the ground wire. The beauty of my install in the rod locker is that I can easily add the ground wire at any time without having to pullout the unit to do it. I will be paying attention to my Ghost skeg to see if galvanic corrosion starts.
    I was checking out some stuff on the bird forum and bumped into this about the ground wire on the 360. Wayne P apparently learned why it was there. Maybe want to think about it.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1100446

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast