Auto deploy and store

As I get older I am more interested in Auto deploy and Stow with spotlock. I usually fish shallow water for bass (bank, grass rocks stumps). Can anyone who has one give me their experience. I want to stay with 24 v around 80lb thrust. Thanks in advance

My 82 year old friend got to a point where he could not stow and deploy so he bought a Minn Kota Ulterra. This was about 3 years ago and in the first 6 months it was in the shop 3 times because the stow/deploy motor not working or binding up but they must have figured it out because he has not had a problem since.
    I recommend you do some research on mounting the Ulterra on your particular boat because there are some issues with the overhang required for the motor shaft to deploy. In some instances, it hits the bow roller when launching and loading. Minn Kota makes a slide bracket to eliminate this interference.
    His is a 24 volt 80# mounted on a Tracker PT190 and it performs well.
    One thing we learned: early on, we were having problems with the unit stopping mid deploy and not trimming the motor down. There were some flashing control lights when this occurred but I have forgotten the details. However, it turned out to be a problem with the batteries. (5 years old). Replaced the batteries and no more problems.
    The unit does everything it is advertised to do and performs well.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    Ive had the 24v 80lb 60" ulterra first on my 99 tracker and moved it over to my 04 Champion 188 elite. As for the mounting to ensure proper deployment and not hitting trailer roller I have it mounted on a different angle and off to the port side of dead center. Also use the quick release bracket. The insert bolts to the boat and the "reciever" bolts to foot of motor. You put motor over insert and a U shaped pin goes through both. I had my doubts buts been very solid for 3+ years and in some pretty rough water. Plus you can take it off and slide it onto front deck and cover boat without wrestling cover over and around motor.
    Cleaning and light lubrication on the moving parts for deploy keep it working flawlessly. I love the looks at the ramp when I just let boat float off the trailer and deploy motor and park it off to the side while I park the truck!

I've had an Ultera , it works great , have a Ghost now , my next may be another Ultera . Great for older guys ( ME ) also you can adjust the depth at the touch of a button .

5. Member
    Yes I have had one since 2015 when they first came out. Had issues in the first season. Finally got it fixed. An issue w the control head. They have these all worked out I believe.

As for install distance from bow, just follow the mounting instructions and you will be good. It does stick out a tad to allow the motor to deploy out and downward so as not to hit the bow.

i have it on a removable plate and like the ability to remove it or lock it when necessary.

These are very very voltage sensitive, meaning if you have a battery that is even slightly weak, it will cause it to throw a code or malfunction.

I find it very useful in not having to deploy and store (saving my back) and also allows me to launch and trailer my boat without a fellow angler...and having to tie up to the dock.

i use the hand remote 95% of the time to control the unit.

if you get the link, the remote battery will not last the whole day. I ended up buying a second controller as a back up that is placed in the boat. Cost me $150 or so but keeps me from being stranded.

Hope ive given you some things to think about and some tips. When it’s time to replace, I will replace w another Ulterra.

6. Member
    I've had an Ulterra for three years and it's been the best investment in fishing I've ever made. I've had two back surgeries and have replaced both my shoulders so the Ulterra allows me to fish twice as long as I normally use to. I use a water based silicone spray to keep it working properly. Very pleased with the Ulterra.

7. Member
    Love my Ulterra. Have it mounted on s ShuttleSlide sliding mount. Never has any problems in over 3 years. I recently upgraded the control head to the "link", amazing what this tm is able to do when networked to a Humminbird.
    Alweld 1856 Stick Steer with 70 Yamaha
    Dual Power Pole Blades/ Helix 10 MSI
    80# Ulterra Link/2 Ionic Lithium 50s/ShuttleSlide Mount

USAF Ret

8. Banned
    Make sure he likes the foot pedal, personally I did not.

9. Member
    Thanks everyone for your time and advice trying to help an old man out. This tells me what I was looking for.

10. Member
    I have a repaired spine and bought an Ulterra. It makes a huge difference in a day of fishing not having to bend over grab a handle and deploy or lift a motor out of the water. A lot of times I will sit at the helm and start the motor before I stow to keep of the bottom or grass. The pedal is different but it just takes getting used to. I’m getting better at controlling it every time out..

My only complaint was the stow/deploy button locations on the foot pedal. In a place where I bumped them constantly. Not quite as responsive as you may be used to with cable steer, but overall I was impressed with my Ulterra, which I sold to replace with an Ultrex.
    Heartland of America
    2000 Ranger 520dvx
    2000 Mercury Optimax 225 - 0T136160
    --
    1997 Charger 395TF
    1997 Evinrude Vindicator 200 - G04296981 (E200STLEUB)

12. Member
    I have an Ulterra on a 97 Ranger R82 sport which I repowered with a 150 Mercury four stroke. I am 82 years old and still fish alone much of the time. I know that is not very smart but I still do it anyway. I love the Ulterra. I had a few issues with it at first but it has been trouble free for the last couple of years. The stow and deploy feature has enabled me to continue fishing. Did I say I love the Ulterra? Oh yeah I did but I repeat myself a lot when I remember to.

I also am considering an Ulterra, mainly for launching and retrieving the boat when alone. The launching part seems pretty straight forward. How good do they work when putting the boat back on the trailer? Can you get the boat headed onto the trailer and then quickly store? How quick will the store function raise the TM high enough to clear the trailer and what kind of range do you get from the remote? TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    I also am considering an Ulterra, mainly for launching and retrieving the boat when alone. The launching part seems pretty straight forward. How good do they work when putting the boat back on the trailer? Can you get the boat headed onto the trailer and then quickly store? How quick will the store function raise the TM high enough to clear the trailer and what kind of range do you get from the remote? TIA
    I'd say 10 seconds from when you hit the button , it's possible but risky .

15. Member
    I did that once when my engine wouldn't start and I had to limp back to the ramp. I trimmed my Ulterra up as much as I could and did a few practice stows to get a feeling for the timing. It went nice and easy, didn't have to get wet at all. Still a very high pucker factor operation because of the stakes. I hope I never have to do it again. If you did it routinely, it's probably no worries.

16. Member
    Had an Xi5 for 3 years and it worked great except deploying and stowing it. Like a few others on here I had a spinal fusion a few years ago and the trolling motor wore me out. Switched to an Ulterra this past summer and thought to myself, why didn't I get one of these to begin with. Greatest investment ever. Oh, and as far as the foot pedal goes its light years ahead of the one that comes with the Xi5.

17. Member
    As LTZ says it is risky. I have done this a couple of times but it is not standard fare. I drop myself off at the dock then send the boat out by itself then spotlock it. I then retrieve it using the remote, get in it and drive it onto the trailer. It’s your best friend when you have none to fish with. Lol.

18. Member
    Thanks everyone for the info.