Looking for some Daiwa feedback/recommendations

I'm a Shimano guy at heart. I don't own a single Daiwa casting reel, but it's time to just try something new. I'm going to be putting together a new combo for dock fishing, and pitching jigs/t-rigs around shallow water and cover. Most of the cover here in New England, aside from docks, are laydowns, milfoil and lily's.

That said, I'll be pairing a reel with either a Tachyon Shaft or Super Destroyer (haven't decided yet but it will be one of those two). I've been debating on either the Tatula Elite, Elite P/F, or the Tatula SV TW. Just wanted to get some feedback from guys that have used either reel and what your thoughts are. A Zillion or Steez is not out of the question either. I've become accustomed to using higher end reels anyway, as most of my reels are Metaniums.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

2. Member
    Elite PF will be at my house Tuesday. Been really impressed with all my Daiwa reels.
    Sapphire Blue/Black Bottom Vexus AVX 1980, Mercury 150 Pro XS

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Tats are fine reels and I have a bunch of them but if a Zillion or Steez isn't out of the question, then I'd be going with a Steez SV TW (or maybe a Steez CT if you really want to spend some money) for the rods you mentioned. I'm getting a new Steez SV TW for my new P5 Bait Finesse. I did some casting around with a "lesser" Daiwa reel (SV105) but I've decided I'm not putting anything other than a Steez on a P5. Yes I'm a bit of a snob.....
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    Steez a on that super destroyer

Both of those rods are shorter casts, close range, heavier powered rods. You will be doing more pitching, skipping, and target casting for accuracy than anything else with them if using them as they were designed. No doubt out of the three Tatula models you mentioned, I'd go with the 2020 SV TW. It is light and compact, skips better than the LC or P/F, and offers the best versatility specifically for those two rods...

Now, depending on how much of a hurry you're in, I'd consider pondering this decision for a couple weeks if you have that kind of time...

I know the rods and reels in question here very well, you're always welcome to shoot me a PM if you have more detailed questions.

6. Member
    I have a zillion 10 on my super destroyer and think they make an excellent combo. I pretty much use this setup for the same applications you describe. I will say the zillion feels better if you add a longer handle, but maybe that’s just me

7. Member
    What Shimano reels are you using or used to using? The new Zillion might be worth waiting for checking out. If you want something really light and compact the Steez CT would be a worthy contender.

8. Member
    I have all of the Tatula reels you mentioned and the SV is definitely my favorite for these types of applications. I'm a huge fan of the 2020 Tatula SVs. That's what I have on my Super Destroyer.

9. Member
    I have a couple of Daiwa Zillions and a Shimano Metanium. They are both great reels, but the Zillion seems to cast lighter baits with less effort and less issues. I also work part-time at Bass Pro and we sell about equal numbers of both brands. I will say that the new Shimano SLX with the DC cast control has been the hottest reel we have once you get over $100.

10. Member
    I would buy a new jdm alphas before i touched a tatula. Asian fishing portal has them for 228$ new free shipping and i usually get stuff faster from them than it take tacklewarehouse.
    Last edited by bronzebacks; 01-10-2021 at 08:29 PM.

11. Member
    Daiwa are my favorite casting reels, my favorite is the Coastal but I haven't met a Tatula I didn't like.

12. Member
    Hi there,

most of my combos have Daiwa reels on them. For your purpose I would either recommend to go with a Steez A and get an additional SV spool for skipping or directly go with the new Zillion SV TW (that i have not fished personally, but hearing very good things about).

I love my Steez CT and Alpha CT as well, but for all around (where heavier line could be used) I would stay with a reel that has a bit more line capacity. Though to be fair, if you are just pitching, flipping and skipping the CTs are great as well.

Choices! ;)

13. Member
    I love my Daiwa's. I own mostly Zillions and a couple of Daiwa Alpha's and a Tatula. Biggest difference between the Steez, Zillions, and Tatula reels are the Tatula reels do not have the free spool mechanics that the Steez and Zillion have. It's still a fine reel but I feel the Steez and Zillions give you more versatility. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Mike B.
    2006 Tracker Pro Team 175 TX

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ttranger View Post
    I have a couple of Daiwa Zillions and a Shimano Metanium. They are both great reels, but the Zillion seems to cast lighter baits with less effort and less issues.
    If your Mets are the USDM model then you are correct in stating the performance of the Met is very disappointing on lighter baits.

Luckily there are multiple OEM spool options for the Met through JDM sellers. PM me if you’re interested. It’s like having a new reel with the performance difference.

Its disappointing the way Shimano seems to take a ‘here’s an inferior product at a much higher price’ approach to the USDM market.