Best inexpensive trail cameras for a non tech-savvy dad

I want to get a couple inexpensive trail cameras for my dad. Just manual ones, no cell cams. Dad is not to tech savvy and wants as simple as possible. In the past I have had great luck with bushnell, and it seemed like there were a lot of cameras in the 60-70$ price range. I want to stay away from moultrie as I have had bad luck with them. However, the cameras I am seeing in this price range are all brands I have never heard of. Does anyone have recommendations of a durable, simple camera in this price range from a company with some semblance of customer service and support that I should shop?
    Thanks for any guidance

2. Member
    https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/...amera-Charcoal
    I been buying these Simmons cameras from Rogers sporting goods for 2 years now with a total of 10 of them. At the price I look at them as disposable cameras but hadn’t had a problem out of any of them. Day time pics are clear and great night time little fuzzy. As far as simple switch to off. Switch cards, switch back to ON. They will do a deal where you buy multiple they are $22 a piece.
    RANGER BOATS

3. Banned
    I use Wildgame Innovation,Tasco,Simmons just ordered a no name brand will see how that goes...All are simple to use and cheap,if they get stolen you don't lose much...The Simmons cameras came in a 4 pk for 99.99 and they only take 4 batteries so will the new one i ordered...I leave mine out year round and for cheap cameras they are not bad,do what i need them too.

4. Member
    Check out the new Wildview WV-12 (made by Stealthcam) for $25 each. Read the reviews, performance way over their price. I bought 12 so far and no issues what so ever. They definitely out perform my Wildgame and Primos cameras.

Following

6. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    I've used Bushnell since they started with them not the cheapest but great cameras. Right now I'm trying to get my hands on 4-6 Tactacam Reveal wireless, I'm hearing good things about them and they are very well priced if you can find any.

7. mikesxpress
    Dave I run 12 cams on two properties and have went thru multiple brands. They are all hit or miss on longevity. I have had Browning cams (not cellular) for the past 5 years and they are POS just like the rest, but there customer service is outstanding.
    I've had some fail in <2 months and others in service for 5 years. One email/call to Browning and a replacement swap is in process.
    My suggestions:
    Get the bottom of the line cam they have and register it on-line immediately. They all take good pictures/video.
    If your deploying them in an area with bears, get the security box! Yogi's like to eat trail cams.
    Against popular belief, I use Eneloop rechargeable AA's and even with 200+ max pixel pictures being taken every 5 days, the batteries will last for 2+ months.

If you shop Ebay you can find deals on twin packs of cams.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Dave I run 12 cams on two properties and have went thru multiple brands. They are all hit or miss on longevity. I have had Browning cams (not cellular) for the past 5 years and they are POS just like the rest, but there customer service is outstanding.
    I've had some fail in <2 months and others in service for 5 years. One email/call to Browning and a replacement swap is in process.
    My suggestions:
    Get the bottom of the line cam they have and register it on-line immediately. They all take good pictures/video.
    If your deploying them in an area with bears, get the security box! Yogi's like to eat trail cams.
    Against popular belief, I use Eneloop rechargeable AA's and even with 200+ max pixel pictures being taken every 5 days, the batteries will last for 2+ months.

If you shop Ebay you can find deals on twin packs of cams.
    Strange about the Brownings. I have 5 and they've been great. Will buy more.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

9. Banned
    Love their guns but never had any of the cameras.

10. Member
    I bought a bunch of campark ones off Amazon for 40$ they do ok
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

11. Member
    Tasco $28 from Walmart. They work just fine. Choose between still pic or video clip

I use Spypoint cameras. Nice pictures, they get mailed to you and saved on the camera’s card. Easy to set up and use.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Tasco $28 from Walmart. They work just fine. Choose between still pic or video clip
    these have worked great for us the last couple years. Really no issues and they come with a card and battery for that price. I believe we have 8. Only draw back is they take a ton of pics and have no setting for sensitivity. But really all you do is turn it on and its done. As simple as it gets. We run cell cams in high traffic areas. For those we have used bushnell, spypoint and moultrie. Spypoint evo-dark hands down the best one but its pricey. Moultrie's are sucking batteries like crazy

I personally find wildgame innovations to be the most issue prone cameras. Have tried several brands and they are really all hit or miss.

14. Member
    Thanks all. Really appreciate the advice. Ended up spending a bit more and got him a browning. Funny the diff experience weve had, Ive had mostly good luck w my browning cameras, but the one issue I had—a camera broken right out of the original box—found their customer service lacking. Luckily purchased from midway who had a better warranty than browning! Looking forward to dads pictures. Might pick up one or two of the recommended cameras for myself though!

I buy my cameras from trailcampro. They add a year of warranty and throw in an SD card.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-