Thread: Trailer Bunks

Trailer Bunks

Getting bored waiting on my Ranger RT198P to be finished. I got to thinking about some modifications. One that popped into my mind was a conversion from carpeted to Gatorbak bunks on my previous fiberglass boat. In case you don't know Gatorbak's are a synthetic rubber like material with channels to allow water to drain off preventing the dreaded hull blisters on fiberglass boats. On my glass boat the Gatorbak bunks were much slicker than carpet making launching and loading a bit easier which is kind of nice since I mostly fish alone. I was wondering if anyone is using something other than carpeted bunks for their aluminum boat, what it is and any advantages over carpet.

I did send an email to Gatorbak and got a really quick reply that their bunks work great with aluminum boats. I do like the idea of not having wet carpet, which takes days to dry, against the hull. May not matter with a powder coated aluminum boat though.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

I have Slick Sticks on my trailer. I did that as I fish Salt Water as often as fresh water. Had an aluminum boat that was subject to the pitting cause by the salt water and aluminum corrosion.
    Super slick for the first 4 months of use. Don't take it loose from the winch, until you want it off the trailer. Also, make sure you attach the winch strap before pulling the boat out.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    I have Slick Sticks on my trailer. I did that as I fish Salt Water as often as fresh water. Had an aluminum boat that was subject to the pitting cause by the salt water and aluminum corrosion.
    Super slick for the first 4 months of use. Don't take it loose from the winch, until you want it off the trailer. Also, make sure you attach the winch strap before pulling the boat out.
    Have you noticed any marring of the paint from the Sticks?
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

4. Member
    Go buy some cheap carnuba wax, take boat to lake and launch. Come back to trailer and pour the wax all over the bunk carpet. It is amazing the difference on how easy the boat loads and glides off the bunks. I do this once every spring and it lasts all season.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrac View Post
    Have you noticed any marring of the paint from the Sticks?
    No not from the Sticks. My rubs and gouges have come from floating debris and oyster beds.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest