Sensitivity Test

Question: I recently set about a test with some of my rods and I’m wondering if it actually is indicative of a rod’s level of sensitivity. It’s stupid basic: take the rod and hold it as you do when using it with a reel on it. Tap the rod to something like a desk and feel the shockwaves. I tried tapping the blank itself and the top guide to see the difference, as well as holding it above the handle just to see.

Different rods yielded wildly different results. But that doesn’t necessarily translate to a way to test sensitivity. Is there an obvious flaw in this method?

It seems like rods with thicker paint jobs do worse at this test.

2. Member
    I drag a jig or weight on a twill or jute rug. A sensitive rod transmits the transition lines very well and you can count them as the jig or weight is pulled across. Rods with lesser sensitivity will feel dampened.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    Someone told me to tie about 12 inches of line to the tip, hold the rod out, and then have something just "tickle" the line. I haven't tried it, but you are supposed the be able to really tell the difference between rods.

4. Member
    Try holding the rod as you would and placing the tip on someones throat about where the Adam's apple is on a guy. Have them hum and speak a few words. I make my wife do this with all my rods when I get them new. I also have a tight nap rug in one room, almost like a berber, that I will drag the tip over. Both work great IMO.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

5. Member
    Y’all have some creative ideas! Thanks!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Try holding the rod as you would and placing the tip on someones throat about where the Adam's apple is on a guy. Have them hum and speak a few words. I make my wife do this with all my rods when I get them new. I also have a tight nap rug in one room, almost like a berber, that I will drag the tip over. Both work great IMO.
    I'm sure she is just thrilled when new rods arrive
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick D View Post
    I'm sure she is just thrilled when new rods arrive
    She is a good sport. Actually loves to fish and is amazed by the difference between low end rods and high end rods.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

8. Member
    I have a pond near my house with medium size chunks of rock. I fish a shakey head jig around the edge. Having fished that pattern so many days I can get a very good read on sensitivity vs my current rods. A second test I will often do is throw a small senko just offshore of the rock and test to what extent I can tell a panfish bite vs a bass. On my better rods, I have no urge to set the hook on a bluegill. On the next tier down, I have to think what is this and make a decision.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

9. Member
    Do you make your wife do it with just your rods?

Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    Do you make your wife do it with just your rods?
    Was going to say something similar but decided against it! That said, I'm not the OP, but I'd feel pretty confident that it's just his rods that she does this with! There are all sorts of rods out there...

Back on topic...I've always done the carpet drag test. You can tell the difference between rods pretty easily with this test!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

11. Member
    Put me down for the “carpet drag” test.

We used to

We used to this in the early 90s in the shop I worked at with Loomis. it was quite effective sales technique.

13. Member
    You can feel someone talk with everything from a pool que to a snow shovel...

14. Member
    I turn the tip over on the smooth floor at the store. I gently drag it back over the smallest of cracks. Any decent rod lets you feel it, but you find some that "explode" in your hand over the same tiny crack. Honestly - it doesn't feel like more--- it just feels markedly different.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

Here is what I do. Drag it across the rocks. And across the carpet. And practice pitching in the winter LOL.
    20210122_131435.jpg
    Hire Lures BuzzWalker quick-clip on topwater blades
    2019 Nitro Z19 200 Pro XS 4S V-T2 Live well vents