live well updates

Hi, I have a 2004 206DC Elite. I am looking at doing a spring project and plan to update and upgrade my live well system, i plan new pumps and hoses and am looking at spray head or maybe convert to two spray heads. as many of you know just getting to the pumps is a chore in this boat so while i am doing this i plan to change all pumps live well and bilge.

i am considering teeing the water spray line in the well so i have a spray head in both sides of the well, i am thinking i can do it with one pump still by upping the GPH then maybe two flow rite spray heads OR should i just put a elbow and a long spray bar the type with a bunch of holes spraying the full length of both wells still with the larger GPH pump.

I know if I go with a larger GPM input pump I should also increase the size of my over flow line to allow for the higher volume of water to drain to avoid over flowing the wells.

I plan to install two new bilge pumps the auto and standard pumps and increase the GPH on them as well. I am thinking the largest I can install and still have the 3/4" lines I didn't want to put bigger holes and fittings through the hull.

Looking for your thoughts on,
    #1 - Best live well spray set up for the large split well
    #2 - What you feel are the best type of live well and bilge pumps
    #3 - What size pumps do you feel are best, i believe on the bilge the bigger the better but i don't know foe sure on the live well
    #4 - What type of hoses do you feel are best for these applications
    #5 - What is the best sealant for all the thru hull and well fittings

any assistance and recommendation would be great

2. Member
    On my 08 210 I have two recirc buttons, one port and one starboard. Each will spray when turned on. Is yours not like that ?
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    no, i have three switches fresh water pump in, pumps in on one side of the well only. recycle of course circulates water in the well but again all through one port and then the pump out pump that i can drain the well, also have the manual control to open and drain the well. I believe my 206 has the same size well as the 210 also.

I have always fished tournaments with 5 fish limits and never had any issues with loosing fish, they may have been single man or team but never more than five fish in the well. Last year I started fishing were I had a co angler in the boat so the wells often had 10 fish and again last year we were lucky enough to get some nice limits and between the two wells and 10 fish had weights in the 40 pound range, we lost a few fish in a few different tournaments I want to try and prevent that next season that's why I am looking at the upgrades.

4. Member
    I've got an 84 184 and the previous owner of my boat has had close to 40lbs in this livewell many times. Issue I have is, it's one livewell. I'm going to Divide mine, add a recirc pump that is like the new boats, and pulls from outside the livewell and pumps back in (and pumps out) as well as the existing aerator pump that is inside the livewell. I figure you can't have to much aeration....
    But I'm also replacing the Bilge, (add a second recirc), and fill pumps.

I think the livewell will be big enough..... once it's divided... it measures out pretty well....

5. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    The aerator switch does recirc. ( or it should!).... brings water in from lake and lets it out via overflow. Only hydro air bubbles water in well without pumping in and out. I have NO idea why Champ calls the in and out system “aerator”, since it does not aerate! The hydro air pump, which does “aerate” is on the back wall of the live well. Pretty much hidden. It was an option. Aerator is standard. The aerator pump is down in the bilge.

At least this is the way it all should work unless someone modified it in the past.
    Last edited by Lea; 01-26-2021 at 07:04 PM.

6. Member
    Wonder why they changed it between 2003 and 2004? My 2003 has a spray head in each side of the livewell and a hydro air in the port side livewell.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

My 2001 196 has two spray heads run from one pump. Just last year I replaced all pumps and lines. I changed all the pumps to 1000 GPH. May be overkill, but I want to move as much water as possible in all circumstances. And I used Johnson pumps.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    My 2001 196 has two spray heads run from one pump. Just last year I replaced all pumps and lines. I changed all the pumps to 1000 GPH. May be overkill, but I want to move as much water as possible in all circumstances. And I used Johnson pumps.
    +1
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

9. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DieselDood View Post
    I've got an 84 184 and the previous owner of my boat has had close to 40lbs in this livewell many times. Issue I have is, it's one livewell. I'm going to Divide mine, add a recirc pump that is like the new boats, and pulls from outside the livewell and pumps back in (and pumps out) as well as the existing aerator pump that is inside the livewell. I figure you can't have to much aeration....
    But I'm also replacing the Bilge, (add a second recirc), and fill pumps.

I think the livewell will be big enough..... once it's divided... it measures out pretty well....
    On my 93 201 the livewell divider hinged at the bottom. Figured the 80s boats the had the livewell behind the seats were the same. Any evidence of anything being screwed to the bottom of the livewell?

10. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Can't remember on my 89 if it's hinged or not I'll have to have a look and report back.

11. Member
    On my 2003 206 the livewell divider is hinged on the side and has a cotter pin holding it closed
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax