Starting from scratch with Garmins... what do I need?

I have used Lowrance since the late 90s and almost ready to pull the trigger on upgrading my electronics and very strongly considering Garmin. I am trying to figure out what all I will need to buy to rig my boat with 2 Garmin units set up in a similar fashion to what my Lowrances (both HDS7... 1 gen1, 1 gen2)are. I am looking to have a ECHOMAP93 at the bow and console networked together and also linked to my motor... not looking for livescope right now. My current setup I have a 2D transducer in the hull and on the trolling motor and a side scan transducer mounted to my jackplate out of harms way. I only have the side scan transducer on the transom but will watch it on my front unit as I fish for any hidden treasures... I fish dirt shallow alot so am somewhat hesitant to put a high dollar side scan transducer on my trolling motor... would there be any major benefit to putting one on the trolling motor? I noticed the Garmins use a NMEA2000 network, is this the same network cables as my Lowrance? If so would the Garmins and Lowrances be able to use the same network at the same time and share data (water temp, engine data, GPS puck)?

So what all do I need to get setup?
    Neil Eckberg- Cary, NC - 2008 Skeeter ZX250- 250 Yamaha SHO

Kerr Lake Ba$$hole

2. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Units:
    Bow unit: Echomap Plus 93sv UHD w/GT54 or GT56
    Console unit: Echomap Plus 93sv UHD no Transducer
    Transducer Console: GT36/GT8
    Network: Marine network Cable (ethernet)

You can get the UHD unit with the GT56. The GT8 is a 2d sonar shoot thru ducer; GT36 is image only (sidevu/down vu). Would be installed and setup like the Lowrance. The GT56 and GT36 are new transducers that just came out.

THey units can use your N2K network cables and read the same data as your Lowrance units.

Network Cables: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/1132/pn/010-10551-00

Whom ever you buy from should know what all you will need.....

Also, you may end up finding the UHD units with the GT54, that is a pretty good ducer also for bow unit. There are only a few ducers that can be used with Y cable and shoot thru ducer which are the GT30, GT34 UHD and GT36 UHD. They are showing the GT36 to start shipping January/February.......
    Last edited by fishin couillon; 01-08-2021 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added info
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

3. Member
    Couillon I purchased two 93sv uhd wgt54. I will get the network cable. I may sell the transom 54 and upgrade to a 56. What all can I do with these units networked together?

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    You can share maps, QD contours, sonar, waypoints, etc.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Might not get depth readings on sonar at speed without a shoot through

6. Member
    Thanks!

7. Member
    Not trying to highjack a thread but would like to jump ships also. My current set up are two helix 12 gen 2 flush mounted and was wondering about Garmin models that would fill my current cut outs.