New water heater options.

My house was built in 2005 and has the builder grade carrier 40 gal electric water heater. It's on its 3rd element, has lots of rust down the side, have had to redo the inlet and outlet connections. The house is 1280sqft, 3 bed 2 bath. electric only. 2 adults and 2 kids. We want to replace the water heater this spring. The wife wants to look into the tankless water heaters. I have read up on some things and am getting some mixed results. Some sites, people say I would need one large one for the bathrooms, a smaller one for the kitchen and and laundry room. But others have said a 23kwatt large one would run my house but I would need to have the electrical system redone to handle it. Also some say I should look into the 50 gal heat pump style of unit. I'm just looking at my best options.

2. Member
    Make sure you put a softner and filter on the input side. I have one of the smaller eco smart tankless heaters, and it needed replacing after about three years. The hard calcium rich water takes a toll on these units.

It I had to do it again I would go with a Rinnai gas tankless heater.

3. Member
    I went from gas tank to gas tankless, not sure I would do it again. I can't remember the make right now. The is an electric tank type with a s.s. liner, lifetime warranty on the tank. I believe may also come with sandhog elements, they're almost indestructible. This tank is only about $100 more expensive.
    Last edited by BroWhoop; 01-12-2021 at 05:12 PM.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

4. Banned
    IIrc, a tankless electric requires a 100 amp circuit. Gas tankless does need a 110V source and stainless venting. For the price of retrofitting my tank to tankless, I could buy 5 regular tank models.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bshort View Post
    IIrc, a tankless electric requires a 100 amp circuit. Gas tankless does need a 110V source and stainless venting. For the price of retrofitting my tank to tankless, I could buy 5 regular tank models.
    Basically true, a condensing tankless vents with pvc.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

6. Member
    If you had gas available at the street, or wanted to add a propane tank, then tankless could be the way to go, as far as electric tankless for the cost of upgrades needed for the electric and increased maintenance, just a regular water heater and blanket is cheaper, simpler, and probably the most cost effective

7. Member
    Yes stay with the normal tank heater and just add a whole house inline filter for about $40 plus fittings

8. Member
    I have a heat pump style electric one and actually kind of like it but it hasn’t been without issues I have a GE model which is no longer made, it had a coil leak, control board issues had to replace a fan etc. I’m an a/c guy so could do the repair myself, and GE was good about sending parts but...
    the other issue is in heat pump only mode it’s a bit of a slow recovery, a hassle with kids, plus we live in FL, and can pretty much run the HP year round, and do see savings but if you use a lot of hot water or have seasons you can’t run the HP, you really just end up with a fancy electric one with no savings. We ended up with a veal from the power co. So the cost of out HP water heater ended up the same as a plain electric one so we gave it a go, but without the subsidies probably not as cost effective as they claim

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    An electric tankless almost has to be planned for in the build unless you are fortunate and your panel is in the same space as the water heater. As bshort mentioned, the power requirement is much more than anything else in the house. He underestimated, as some can require 120A.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​