Thread: Reel bearings

Reel bearings

For you guys that use lighter fluid to clean bearings do you do anything else or just oil them up?

2. Member
    I just started doing this. My best results were lighter fluid then acetone. No oil.

Clean the bearing with lighter fluid. Lay them out on a paper towel and then blow them out. Finally, I put each one, in turn, on the tip of my forceps or on one of the old dental tools that I use for reel repair, and spin them dry. Then, I set them aside for reassembly.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    I let them dry and then put one drop of oil on them.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by born 2 fish View Post
    I let them dry and then put one drop of oil on them.

6. Member
    I put my spool bearings in a tiny food strainer, step out side and hose them down with A can of CRC Electronic cleaner with the red tube inserted in the nozzle. Dries in seconds and leaves no residue. A short bath in lighter fluid, blow dry with my side mounted keyboard blower, spot of oil and done. If you have frame bearings with grease in them, this will also work to clean them. Amazing how fast the CRC eliminates grease. I have stopped packing my pinion bearings in grease and now dip them in TSI 301 to clean and lube them. Three years now on the pinion bearings and doing very well.

7. Member
    Unless I see visible dirt or crud, one drop of Yellow Rocket Fuel per bearing, and I'm back to fishing.

Used to pull 'em and clean 'em, then lube 'em.

Can't tell any difference. IMHO, if you didn't submerge a reel, or drive down dirt roads with them on the deck, not much way dirt can get to the bearings.

Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Unless I see visible dirt or crud, one drop of Yellow Rocket Fuel per bearing, and I'm back to fishing.

Used to pull 'em and clean 'em, then lube 'em.

Can't tell any difference. IMHO, if you didn't submerge a reel, or drive down dirt roads with them on the deck, not much way dirt can get to the bearings.
    Don't move to West Texas during a drouth. Blowing dust gets everywhere.

9. Member
    Fully understand. Lived in Lubbock for a while in the mid 1970's. If you have never seen a dust storm, you aren't prepared for one.

If the reels are dirty, I'm cleaning them.

Much better to try not to get your reels in a dust storm. Not sure how to keep them clean, even in a rod locker. Dust gets in the house.

Kansas City doesn't have that problem, just dirt roads we drive down to some of the lakes.