Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

removing nuts/bolts when replacing leaf springs

I had a leaf spring snap in half this past fall and so I'm going to be replacing both springs as well as the U-bolts and hardware. However, I am having a really hard time getting any of the nuts to loosen even the slightest bit. I've tried a couple different penetrating sprays, I've tried putting as much pressure as I can with a socket wrench, and I've tried whacking the wrench with a rubber mallet. Am I going to have to use a cutting wheel and cut the bolts to get these off? The only other thing I could think of was to heat them up using a torch, but it makes me nervous having that much heat that close to the hull of the boat (the boat is still on the trailer). Any ideas or suggestions?

2. Member
    did you try a breaker bar or a breaker bar with a cheater piece of pipe for more leverage ?
    THE MORE YOU SAY THE MORE WE UNDERSTAND AND ACCEPT YOU ANYWAYS

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SWbass View Post
    did you try a breaker bar or a breaker bar with a cheater piece of pipe for more leverage ?
    ^This or an impact.

They WILL loosen with enough torque. Even if that means twisting the bolt in half.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I have a 25" breaker bar that will work one way or the other-------------------But if I can get my impact on it ( even if I have to use a 20' extention) the hammering of the impact works better. with that being said---- Replace all hardware when finishing up

5. Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a breaker bar or an impact, but my father-in-law does, so I'll grab them from him.

6. Member
    big long breaker bar will work, if they dont come loose you should be able to snap the bolts.

Or use a cutting wheel to cut them off. Be careful , wear you safety equipment

Breaker bar and as long a pipe as you can get on the handle. I have a 4 foot pipe that has never failed me. The only other alternative is the hot wrench. Even if you don't have access to a cutting torch to heat the nuts, you can use a hand held propane torch to at least expand the nut enough to loosen it with the breaker bar.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 01-09-2021 at 08:38 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Heat will be your friend.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Depending on how bad the threads on the U bolts are chewed up from rocks.
    If they look bad I won't even try to get them off -- a right angle cutting blade and be done with them

10. Member
    Just did mine. Nuts were covered with trailer amor spray. First side was a bitch with breaker bars. Borrowed a impact for other side and was way easier

11. Member
    I replaced the easy way. I bought new u bolts ( or square bolts if you have square axle). I put thin cutting blade on side grider and cut old bolts off in less than a minute each side. Put new springs with new u bolts back on in just a few minutes. Easy Pleasy!

12. Member
    I just bought a new 1/2 inch impact wrench. It didn't say how much torque it has but it has 1250 in the part number. Anyhow, it is a beast! It shames my old impact wrench. If you do use an impact wrench, and it does loosen the nuts, run it back in the tightening direction once in a while if the nuts are binding, with some penetrating oil. This can keep the bolts from snapping off if rust builds up inside the nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I replaced the easy way. I bought new u bolts ( or square bolts if you have square axle). I put thin cutting blade on side grider and cut old bolts off in less than a minute each side. Put new springs with new u bolts back on in just a few minutes. Easy Pleasy!
    ^^^^^THIS !!!!! You should also replace ALL Bolts, Nuts, Shackles, and Bushings !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Depending on how bad the threads on the U bolts are chewed up from rocks.
    If they look bad I won't even try to get them off -- a right angle cutting blade and be done with them

This....

15. Member
    Well, I finally got them off. Borrowed a friend’s impact driver and got some off with it. For the rest, including the u-bolts, I got some heavy duty cut off wheels for my dremel and cut through the bolts. I was able to cut through each of them in a couple minutes each. Now I’ve just got to get the new leaf springs and hardware ordered so I can get things put back together. Thanks for the help!

17. Member
    When I replaced mine I used a breaker bar and they would either spin or snap, I liked the ones that snapped, they were the easy ones. Replaced mine with SS bolts and nuts, but I use mine in saltwater.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

18. Member
    always replace hardware when doing suspension work. If the U-bolts are difficult to remove support the axle and cut them on top of the spring.
    2020 Ranger 521L, Merc 250 Pro XS

19. Member
    Again, thanks for the help and advice. Everything is removed and I'm just waiting for the springs and hardware to arrive. The springs were backordered for a couple weeks. I am getting all new U-bolts, nuts, U-bolt plates, shackle straps, and shackle bolts. It will be nice to get them in and get them put on. It should also help get rid of the really loud trailer squeaking I was getting because of the eye bushings being worn out.

Good deal. sounds like all you need is some parts and you can go to work..
    Figure on keeping this boat so I think I'll put some wet bolts in. maybe they'll last as long as the boat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast