Pitch change going from a 3 blade to a 4 blade?

I have a 2020 Bass Cat Cougar with a Mercury 250 4 stroke and I am thinking about switching to a 4 blade.

Currently I have a Fury 3 blade 24p, and I am curious what size prop I should go with in a 4 blade.

I am looking at the Bravo 1 FS

Thanks

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013sabre View Post
    I have a 2020 Bass Cat Cougar with a Mercury 250 4 stroke and I am thinking about switching to a 4 blade.

Currently I have a Fury 3 blade 24p, and I am curious what size prop I should go with in a 4 blade.

Thanks
    I would recommend going up 1 or 2" of pitch on the Bravo 1 FS.

My boat ( see below ) came with a 23 p Fury 3 and changed to a 24 p Bravo 1 FS. I got quicker holeshot, lower planning speed, better handling in turns, easier to drive ( read less tendency to chine walk ) and better rough water ride, and almost identical top end speed.

You should be quite happy with the Bravo.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

I've always thought you want to go down 1" or 2" in pitch when changing to a 4 blade?
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

4. Member
    Certain models of props run " stiffer " than others. For instance the equivalent pitch of a 3 blade Fury 23 pitch would be most equal to a Tempest Plus 24 pitch and 4 blade Bravo 1 FS 25 pitch. This examples are not precise but will indicate what I mean when I say a Tempest Plus is stiffer than a Bravo 1 and a Fury 3 is stiffer than a Tempest Plus. Hopefully my feeble attempt at an explanation will help you understand that dropping a pitch or two is not always necessary.

Now if I were changing from a Fury 3 to a Fury 4 blade I would want to try a pitch lower by maybe 1".
    Last edited by 1Holeshot; 01-10-2021 at 04:18 PM.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

We suggest questions like this on one of our BCB forum sites as the staff will help. What ever your after with a 4 blade is often achieved as well by dropping an inch on the same style propeller, if that propeller functions well.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    We suggest questions like this on one of our BCB forum sites as the staff will help. What ever your after with a 4 blade is often achieved as well by dropping an inch on the same style propeller, if that propeller functions well.
    I agree 100%.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    RMP Engine Support

7. Member
    Thanks BCB

8. Member
    I re-powered from 2 cycle 250XS to to a 4s 250 XS. On the 4 stroke changed to a four blade 24 fury from a 3 blade 24. Not as much difference as you would think. I like the four blade performance better overall. The trade was better hole shot and handling VS 1.5 miles less than the 3 blade. I have ordered a 24.5 Bravo 1 FS and will have next week. I think this will be the prop to put me in the best power range heavy load 12 months a year. Highly recommend the four stroke change and would never go back to two stroke at this point.

9. Member
    if currently running a 24p Fury you should go up to a 26p/26.5p Bravo I FS to achieve close to the same rpm/speed. I run a 24p Fury and really like the performance. 77 mph(gps) @ 6060 rpms. I just bought a 26.5 Bravo I FS and the holeshot is AMAZING!. Speed is about 76 mph.

https://preferredmarine.com/racing-series/bravo-i-fs/
    Last edited by Tidebassin'; 01-12-2021 at 09:30 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2013sabre View Post

Hi 2013sabre, just curious..... you state you are running a Fury 3 24p on your new Cougar. Was that the prop that came from the Factory ? Reason asking is my 2014 Cougar FTD came
    with a Fury 3 25p from the factory but I'm running a 250 Opti Pro XS. If anything, I would have guessed that the extra torque of the 4 stoke would have warranted a larger pitch with the same boat (ie 25p) What characteristics did the Fury 3 24p have that makes you want to go to/try a 4 blade ? If you decide to sell the Fury 3 24p let me know as I would be
    interested. Kind Regards....

Thanks
    Hi 2013sabre, just curious..... you state you are running a Fury 3 24p on your new Cougar. Was that the prop that came from the Factory ? Reason asking is my 2014 Cougar FTD came
    with a Fury 3 25p from the factory but I'm running a 250 Opti Pro XS. If anything, I would have guessed that the extra torque of the 4 stoke would have warranted a larger pitch with the same boat (ie 25p) What characteristics did the Fury 3 24p have that makes you want to go to/try a 4 blade ? If you decide to sell the Fury 3 24p let me know as I would be

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishraptor View Post
    Nope. New 4 stroke motors are needing lower pitch props.

12. Member
    The 4 strokes need lower pitch's for higher rpm's. 2013 Sabre you normally go up in pitch 1"-2" inches when running a bravo because they are pitched light and normally down 1" in pitch when running a regular 4 blade except the Fury 4 when changing from a fury 3 then you go pitch for pitch.

13. Member
    I'm not qualified to provide advice, but I can tell you my experience.

I have a 2016 Cougar repowered with a 2019 Merc 250.

I was running a 24p Fury 3 blade. I could barely break 6000rpm, even after Ronnie Gilbert worked the prop.

I switch to a 24p Fury 4 blade. I picked up 200rpm. I can hit 6200rpm now, but lost about 4mph.

ThIs got me wondering if my 3 blade is out of whack. I've been tempted to try a new 3 blade or a 25p 4 blade.
    2023 Puma STS

14. Member
    It depends on what he did to the prop if he added cup it could slow it down. What did you tell him to do?

15. Member
    May I also ask for advise on the 3 verse 4 blade prop issue. I have a wide aluminum boat with a Yamaha sho 175hp on it. It came from the factory with a Yamaha reliance 17P - 3blade stainless. I am reaching 6300 + rpm wide open, I want to drop rpm down to about 6000-6100 as per Yamaha customer support recommendation.

My question is I want to go to a 4 blade ss prop with a 18P so I don`t lose much top end or should I stay with a 17P 4 blade that will drop rpm but also will lose top end?

I know from what I have read the 4 blade prop will drop RPM slightly and lose top end somewhat.

Thanks for any input because buying these props are extremely expensive so I`m trying not to waist any money on something that doesn't do what i want.
    Mobile1/ Steve