Looking at new mercury 4 stroke XS

Is anyone using lithium batteries to start them with?
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

2. Member
    Directly above your thread is the FAQ where you can find the answer you're looking for, along with a thread near the bottom of the first page where someone asked the same question. I do believe this has been covered numerous times.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno 615 View Post
    Directly above your thread is the FAQ where you can find the answer you're looking for, along with a thread near the bottom of the first page where someone asked the same question. I do believe this has been covered numerous times.
    This^^^^ Refer to the Mercury owners manual for battery specs.

Sorry for inconvenience.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No problem- just a topic that's been beat to death, resurrected, and beaten again several times over.

The short answer is: No. Engine/Battery specifications require an AGM battery, 975+ CCA for a fishing application.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I just bought a 300R and the book for it calls for 800 CCA for US SAE and 975 international.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    I just bought a 300R and the book for it calls for 800 CCA for US SAE and 975 international.
    975 minimim cranking amps if you have electronics

One instance where bigger IS better.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    This is one instance where I'm gonna disagree with every copy of the owner's manual and/or service manual. Your above quote isn't quite what the manual states, BTW. If you go back and read it carefully, then start looking for a battery that meets both specifications... you'll quickly find why.

Stick with the SAE Rating of a MINIMUM 975 CCA in an AGM battery.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Actually I quoted it quite accurately.
    PXL_20210110_033702660.jpg

11. Member
    Actually you didn't quote it correctly. The book shows 800 MCA, and 975 CCA. Marine Cranking Apps are not the same as Cold Cranking Amps.
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

12. Member
    Actually you didn't quote it correctly. The book shows 800 MCA, and 975 CCA. Marine Cranking Apps are not the same as Cold Cranking Amps.
    800 MCA = 616 CCA so even lower requirement for US SAE.

I'm running a PM1 with 1150 CCA so I should be good.

13. mikesxpress
    Sears quit selling PM1s 8 years ago. Mine normally died at the 6 year mark.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    See the "Batteries" post in the FAQ Section for information on suitable batteries.