My first trip out in a G2 powered 521...

This past weekend I went out for the first time in a G2 powered boat. 2015 Ranger 521 with the 250 G2. Not going to lie, I was completely blown away with the horsepower and torque that motor generated. It's quiet and extremely powerful. Seems unfortunate the product was dropped. I was so impressed even in light of what happened last year, I'd consider a used rig with that engine.

Are there any items to be concerned about with this engine (mechanically, not company/status/warranty related)?? Only thing I've seen is potential issues with the advanced/electronic steering option, but understand that was an option.

2018 LEGEND 211R | 250 MERC PROXS

2. Member
    power steering seems to be only real issue? can get without it also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    The torgue on the G2 is crazy. I have an aluminum boat with a G2 at the max HP rating. It planes so fast that I have to back off the throttle so I don't drive my bow down.

I went with hydraulic steering on mine and am glad I did after reading about all of the issues with the electric steering. Hydraulic is tried and true technology.

Quote Originally Posted by posmallie View Post
    The torgue on the G2 is crazy. I have an aluminum boat with a G2 at the max HP rating. It planes so fast that I have to back off the throttle so I don't drive my bow down.

I went with hydraulic steering on mine and am glad I did after reading about all of the issues with the electric steering. Hydraulic is tried and true technology.
    I must be lucky my electronic steering has been flawless. I love that it has different amount of assist options. I keep it on medium.
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

5. Member
    Same experience as the OP, 2016 521c with 250 G2. Hole shot is amazing running a HO 26p 3 blade. Torque is Awesome! Speed is awesome for the 521! Just overall very pleased! 350 hours still going strong, no major issues, just basic routine maintenance!

6. Member
    i agree with you guys.i would not hesitate one minute buying a boat with an evinrude engine.i didnt like what brp did with their marine division but personally i still feel like parts will not be a problem.i just know over the last several years i have been in plenty of boats with evinrude engines on the back wether it was 150 hp or 250 hp, they were awsome.plenty of torque,power,very quiet,easy on gas & oil and have been very dependable.i know they are not bullet proof but the ones i have been around were impressive engines.
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

7. Member
    My 2018 225 G2 H.O. is in the shop with a oil leak. Waiting on BRP to authorize the warranty repair. 5 working days now and counting. Love the motor but getting a little concerned about the delay.

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCatSC View Post
    My 2018 225 G2 H.O. is in the shop with a oil leak. Waiting on BRP to authorize the warranty repair. 5 working days now and counting. Love the motor but getting a little concerned about the delay.
    No need to be concerned....BRP is short staffed like most companys due to the covid and stopping production on engines....