harris chain question,

Coming down to the Harris chain in march. Rented a house on Lake Eustis, has a dock in a canal that I can keep the boat in. My question is, How safe is it in the areas around leesburg? dont want get all my gear stolen>
    Thanks

2. Member
    I fish the chain roughly four times a year about a week each time. My boat stays in the water in a boathouse on Haines Creek. Been doing this for the last 5 years. Here's my suggestion. I've never had a problem anytime I've been down there. I don't do anything to tempt anybody. When I come in from fishing I bring rods/reels/graphs inside. Tackle is locked in the boat compartments. I bought a 1" cable that I run around the boathouse piling and thru my steering wheel with a huge lock holding it. All of this takes about 10 min to do/undo each time I go out. To me, I have no problem taking 10 minutes to avoid having about $10k worth of stuff stolen. What you do is totally up to you but as far as the general area, my understanding is there's not a big problem with theft but don't make it easy on them either.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    I fish the chain roughly four times a year about a week each time. My boat stays in the water in a boathouse on Haines Creek. Been doing this for the last 5 years. Here's my suggestion. I've never had a problem anytime I've been down there. I don't do anything to tempt anybody. When I come in from fishing I bring rods/reels/graphs inside. Tackle is locked in the boat compartments. I bought a 1" cable that I run around the boathouse piling and thru my steering wheel with a huge lock holding it. All of this takes about 10 min to do/undo each time I go out. To me, I have no problem taking 10 minutes to avoid having about $10k worth of stuff stolen. What you do is totally up to you but as far as the general area, my understanding is there's not a big problem with theft but don't make it easy on them either.

Thanks, That's what I usually do. Didnt think about the cable. Good idea

4. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    That’s a good area. I fish the chain 20+ times a year and live pretty close. Of course theft happens but it’s pretty rare. More opportunistic a-holes than anything else. If your compartments lock you’re probably good.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV