Blank suggestions please

Hi all,,, first off I want to thank you all for all the answers and opinions to my many many questions of late... Im a begginer and on to my next build and im hoping for blank suggestions for a carolina rig rod... Looking at 7' to 7'2"... will be throwing a 3/4 oz weight, 17lb main line and 10-12lb leader... I need to stay under $100 for the blank... as always thank you... Mychael

2. Member
    In the under $100 category I'd suggest a Liberty blank from GetBit. I would personally use the FS764, it's listed as fast but it's really more moderate.

The MB734 would work too but it's faster.

3. Member
    I would suggest a North Fork Composite MB 7108-1(X-Ray LMX) or MB 7109-1(X-Ray LMX) Depending on how heavy weight you want to go. I have built a MB 7108-1(X-Ray LMX) and thrown 3/4oz weights. I have a MB 7109-1(X-Ray LMX) Im working on for 1oz. If you watch for a sale then you can usually get an X-Ray for under $100. Both of those rods are 7'10" and you can cut 6" off no problem that would get you down to 7'4".

4. Member
    I do have a 7108 that I built and personally fish mainly for football heads but it would make a very nice C-rig rod. I do have one of those coming, just checked and it was $75 with the last sale so definitely in your budget and it's a better blank. Not that there's anything wrong with the Liberties, I've built a lot of them and fished some myself and have been very happy with both the quality and performance for the price. The Liberty FS764 is as close as you'll find to the old Shikari FS764. It's just a couple tenths of an ounce heavier. I still have one that I haven't built.

I guess I just have a problem with recommending NFC anymore at all because of my personal experiences with them.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by willwork4fish View Post
    I guess I just have a problem with recommending NFC anymore at all because of my personal experiences with them.
    I can understand that. I have had decent experiences with them. Have had a few orders take a little while to receive. But I have only been building with them about 2 years. Every time I have had questions about my order they have replied to my emails.

I was also going to suggest going to ICRBE. I got rodgeek blanks for 50% there last year. But that is a trip from CA.

6. Member
    If you like a fast action blank for throwing Carolina rigs I'd look at the Rainshadow Immortal IMMC72MH blank. If you get it from Utmost Enterprises it will run you around $120 so a little more than you mentioned. Awesome awesome blank though. It's great for a lot of different baits. It is painted a titanium chrome color though. Gorgeous color, but some prefer a natural graphite finish.

If you like a blank with a little bit slower action. The NFC MB709-IM is a great blank for Carolina rigs as well. It too is great for other baits as well. It's got a moderate fast action, and if you use braid as your main line I would go with the slower action blank. It has a natural graphite finish.I use

Both blanks have gobs of power. Sensitivity on the Immortal is better than the NFC, but not by a whole whole lot. Absolutely love both of the rods I have built on those blanks. I use them for flipping and pitching, hollow bodied frogs spinnerbaits...... pretty much any bait that has a single hook and for when you need a rod with some serious power.

7. Member
    In the under $100 category I'd suggest a Liberty blank from GetBit. I would personally use the FS764, it's listed as fast but it's really more moderate.

The MB734 would work too but it's faster.
    Hi ..Mike ,, what will happen if I take 4" of the butt of the Liberty FS764??? Id like to stay 7'2" or under ... Thanks

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omykee View Post
    Hi ..Mike ,, what will happen if I take 4" of the butt of the Liberty FS764??? Id like to stay 7'2" or under ... Thanks
    It should slow the action a bit.

9. Member
    IMO if you are cutting from the butt you will not change the action. The action is all in the tip and top 1/3 to 1/2 of the rod. The bottom half of the rod is backbone. You will have a shorter back bone but will not notice a difference in action.

10. Member
    Liberty is a good choice very nice for the price and love the smooth blank finish. I find the balance to be slightly off. But cutting it down may be a great choice in the 764
    Nitro z21

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omykee View Post
    No change you'd notice

12. Member
    The "action" of a blank isn't just determined by how the tip flexes. It's how the entire blank flexes. Any trim in length, be it at the tip or at the butt, is going to technically slow the action of the blank. Trimming from the butt will take power from the blank. Trimming from the tip will add power to the blank.

13. Member
    Technically Bassbme is right but as a general rule of thumb, I'll take up to 6" off the butt end of a blank and not worry about affecting the power or action of a rod in any noticeable way in anything MH/H. I've got a Shikari FS764 cut to 6'10" that will drive a hook and feels pretty much the same power wise as one that's 7'6".

Cutting from the tip is completely different. Doesn't take much to change how a blank/rod feels. I've messed around with and change a lot of blanks (ruined some) just to see what happens. I'll cut a tip from time to time but rarely will I take off more than 3/4" on a graphite blank and I'll top out at an inch on some glass blanks.

One of my favorite rods that I use all the time isn't even one that I built. It was a 7' St. Croix ML riggin rod that a buddy broke like 6" from the tip and gave to me for parts. I slapped a tip on it and moved the first guide from the tip a little and it's the best MHish dock skipping spinning rod I've ever used.

14. Member
    I've got a Shikari FS764 cut to 6'10" that will drive a hook and feels pretty much the same power wise as one that's 7'6".
    I have been looking for a 6'10" blank 10-20lb fast action for texas rigs and finesse jigs. Closest I have found is a 6'9"? I want a high end blank that is sensitive.

Allen

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post
    I have been looking for a 6'10" blank 10-20lb fast action for texas rigs and finesse jigs. Closest I have found is a 6'9"? I want a high end blank that is sensitive.

Allen
    Shikari went out of business a while ago. Just take whatever 7 footer you like and lose 2" off the butt. Like a Rod Geeks B470MHF is a great all around blank for what you want to do and decent price.

Quote Originally Posted by Munkin View Post

Allen
    Phenix Feather 7'1" heavy (FTX-71H-B) cut down to 6'10" would be my pick for that application.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34