‘06 E-Tec kill switch

I have an ‘06 e-tec,and when the kill switch key is pulled off,should the engine shutoff completely? Mine continues to run but has absolutely no power. Was told its not suppose to kill the motor completely. Thanks in advance

2. Member
    I'm curious, who told you it does not shut down the motor completely? That person has no credibility.

A "kill switch" is just that, it kills the motor, instant shut down.

There are a couple of types depending on your key switch installation. The most common one for 1996 and later Evinrudes and Johnsons physically turn the key to OFF when the lanyard is pulled. Another style is a separate switch on the dash or controls that shorts out the black/yellow wire to the black ground wire.

A photo of your "kill switch" and key switch would be a great help.

Manufacturers in the outboard industry do not like it called a kill switch, they consider it a safety switch or an emergency cut-off switch as the name "kill" is not conducive to good advertising. The boating crowd has always called it a kill-switch and probably will for a long time to come.

As mentioned already, the switch should stop the motor whenever the lanyard is pulled. If it doesn't, then there is a problem in the switch, connectors, wiring, etc. that has to be corrected. Being a critical safety item, get it taken care of ASAP.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !