Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Just an FYI the $35 Contour+ deal is back https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/ty...ap-na-contour/

2. Member
    So is it $35 bucks for annual updates? When I purchase the card in 2020 my understanding it was a one time fee? Is this correct or do you update the card? Thanks.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRETT View Post
    So is it $35 bucks for annual updates? When I purchase the card in 2020 my understanding it was a one time fee? Is this correct or do you update the card? Thanks.
    Honestly? No idea. But at $35 is still way cheaper than what CMAPs is at $160+ per year.

4. Member
    I am probably missing something, but what is the difference between the $35 option that looks like it gives you 1 ft contours here (throughout the US) and say the $150 cards that are for Alabama and Tennesse areas alone? I looked at the $35 update and looks to be a lot more lakes available on that. Does that only work if you already have the maps preloaded on your HDS Lives maybe?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakesareabassin View Post
    I am probably missing something, but what is the difference between the $35 option that looks like it gives you 1 ft contours here (throughout the US) and say the $150 cards that are for Alabama and Tennesse areas alone? I looked at the $35 update and looks to be a lot more lakes available on that. Does that only work if you already have the maps preloaded on your HDS Lives maybe?
    So I have a post on page 2 of this post that breaks this down a bit.

C-MAPs (Lowrance) is just a cluster **** when it comes to their marketing and naming and all that. They really need to clean this up and make it easier for end users to understand here.

Anyways, there is several line of mapping that C-MAPs does, one of which is the MAX-N+ line of maps. Within there they've got different products, there is the Precision Contour HD (these are limited to a few lakes only based on three states, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Alabama). What they did for NC/Tenn/Bama is spent a shit load of money and time and did some crazy scanning of those lakes to get the most detailed mapping you could possibly think of. That is why they are only for those few states.

Next up there is the Lake Insight HD (which goes for $169/year and is what is needed for custom contour depth shading), What Lowrance is doing is re-marketing the Lake Insight HD maps, and re-named them Contour+ and selling it for a HEAVY discount of $35. So what you're getting in Contour+ is the same thing you're getting in Lake Insight HD.

The difference between Precision HD and Contour+? The level of detail. You're getting MUCH MUCH more accurate maps if you're fishing the NC/Tenn/Bama lakes than you would if you were using Contour+ mapping.

Contour+ gives you some great detail, don't get me wrong, I'd say it's better than Navionics for most of the lakes I fish.

If you look at this list of lakes that Contour+ covers MAP LIST

and compare it to the list of lakes that Lake Insight HD covers and they're identical. So if you have an HDS Live Unit, and you're normally using Navionics mapping, or the default mapping, for $35 this is a no brainer for those people.

So the issue finally comes down to updates for Contour+? No one knows. Lowrance hasn't said.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umdivx View Post

C-MAPs (Lowrance) is just a cluster **** when it comes to their marketing and naming and all that. They really need to clean this up and make it easier for end users to understand here.

Anyways, there is several line of mapping that C-MAPs does, one of which is the MAX-N+ line of maps. Within there they've got different products, there is the Precision Contour HD (these are limited to a few lakes only based on three states, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Alabama). What they did for NC/Tenn/Bama is spent a shit load of money and time and did some crazy scanning of those lakes to get the most detailed mapping you could possibly think of. That is why they are only for those few states.

Next up there is the Lake Insight HD (which goes for $169/year and is what is needed for custom contour depth shading), What Lowrance is doing is re-marketing the Lake Insight HD maps, and re-named them Contour+ and selling it for a HEAVY discount of $35. So what you're getting in Contour+ is the same thing you're getting in Lake Insight HD.

The difference between Precision HD and Contour+? The level of detail. You're getting MUCH MUCH more accurate maps if you're fishing the NC/Tenn/Bama lakes than you would if you were using Contour+ mapping.

Contour+ gives you some great detail, don't get me wrong, I'd say it's better than Navionics for most of the lakes I fish.

and compare it to the list of lakes that Lake Insight HD covers and they're identical. So if you have an HDS Live Unit, and you're normally using Navionics mapping, or the default mapping, for $35 this is a no brainer for those people.

So the issue finally comes down to updates for Contour+? No one knows. Lowrance hasn't said.
    So I live in MN as well. So your recommendation would be to grab the $35 card to get the 1' contours for MN rather than re-activating the Navionics cards as their shading doesn't work as well as the C-Map? I may grab the C-Map card for Alabama and check that out on Guntersville.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakesareabassin View Post
    So I live in MN as well. So your recommendation would be to grab the $35 card to get the 1' contours for MN rather than re-activating the Navionics cards as their shading doesn't work as well as the C-Map? I may grab the C-Map card for Alabama and check that out on Guntersville.
    You don't get any shading at all with Navionics outside of their mobile app. So on your Lowrance units if you're using Navioncis mapping, there is no custom shading what so ever.

I run both Navioncis and the C-MAPs Lake Insight HD. Lake Insight HD doesn't cover every lake that is why I run both. But I prefer CMAPS when the map is available for a given lake because then I can use the custom depth shading. Say I'm fishing Mille Lacs and I found a given pattern where they're biting at say 12 to 15ft range. I'll highlight that depth range on my units and create that as a yellow color so that it sticks out on the map and easier to read.

So as I said the Lake Insight HD runs me $169/year, you're getting the same mapping, same custom depth shading, ect... for $35 that covers and entire US, instead of the $169 that is a regional zone.

8. Member

You mention Bama, NC, and Tennessee as the three states for P. Contour HD. But I thought SC was one also? At least I’m able to pull it up as a purchase option. Forgive me but I’m just wanting to make sure I make the right purchase. I’m about to buy a card for my Carbon 9. I fish SC lakes and I want the best option be it Navionics or P. Contour HD. I fish a lot of humps and ditches and want the best contour detail. Thanks.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    You mention Bama, NC, and Tennessee as the three states for P. Contour HD. But I thought SC was one also?
    Nope, just those states, and even then it's a limited number of lakes within those states for the Precision Contour maps.

Surveyed Lakes:

Alabama - Guntersville, Wheeler, Wilson, Pickwick, Weiss , Neely Henry, Logan Martin, Lay, Mitchell, Jordan, Alabama River, Lewis Smith Lake

Tennessee - Chickamauga, Douglas, Kentucky Lake, Old Hickory, J Percy Priest, Fort Loudon, Tellico, Nickajack, Watts Bar, Melton Hill

North Carolina - B Everett Jordan, Falls, Gaston, Hickory, High Rock, John H. Kerr (Buggs Island), Norman, Shearon Harris, Tillery, Tuckertown, Wylie

At least I’m able to pull it up as a purchase option. Forgive me but I’m just wanting to make sure I make the right purchase. I’m about to buy a card for my Carbon 9. I fish SC lakes and I want the best option be it Navionics or P. Contour HD. I fish a lot of humps and ditches and want the best contour detail. Thanks.
    What you want is the Lake Insight HD US LAKES: SOUTH EAST SKU: M-NA-Y074-MS
    I like Navionics, don't get me wrong, it's good, the issue is lack of the ability to do custom depth shading, that for me is HUGE and why I'm all in all C-MAP.

10. Member
    Nope, just those states, and even then it's a limited number of lakes within those states for the Precision Contour maps.

Surveyed Lakes:

Alabama - Guntersville, Wheeler, Wilson, Pickwick, Weiss , Neely Henry, Logan Martin, Lay, Mitchell, Jordan, Alabama River, Lewis Smith Lake

Tennessee - Chickamauga, Douglas, Kentucky Lake, Old Hickory, J Percy Priest, Fort Loudon, Tellico, Nickajack, Watts Bar, Melton Hill

North Carolina - B Everett Jordan, Falls, Gaston, Hickory, High Rock, John H. Kerr (Buggs Island), Norman, Shearon Harris, Tillery, Tuckertown, Wylie

What you want is the Lake Insight HD US LAKES: SOUTH EAST SKU: M-NA-Y074-MS
    I like Navionics, don't get me wrong, it's good, the issue is lack of the ability to do custom depth shading, that for me is HUGE and why I'm all in all C-MAP.
    Thank you!
    So this isn’t the same thing as those three states?
    https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/ty...lina-f793d81d/
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

Get with Roy Barrow, he can help clear up things
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1103447
    2B576211

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    Thank you!
    So this isn’t the same thing as those three states?
    https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/ty...lina-f793d81d/
    Well damn, looks like it is. What's weird is if you go to CMAPS website directly they don't list SC as being a Precision contour HD state.

Here's the list of lakes it supports btw.

Surveyed Lakes:
    Hartwell
    Marion (Santee Cooper)
    Moultrie (Santee Cooper)
    Murray
    J Strom Thurmond (Clarks Hill)
    Wateree
    Wylie
    Chestnut
    Fishburne Pond 1
    Fishburne Pond 2
    Payne Branch
    Waterbridge

13. Member
    Well damn, looks like it is. What's weird is if you go to CMAPS website directly they don't list SC as being a Precision contour HD state.

Here's the list of lakes it supports btw.

Surveyed Lakes:
    Hartwell
    Marion (Santee Cooper)
    Moultrie (Santee Cooper)
    Murray
    J Strom Thurmond (Clarks Hill)
    Wateree
    Wylie
    Chestnut
    Fishburne Pond 1
    Fishburne Pond 2
    Payne Branch
    Waterbridge
    Thats a good thing then. That’s what I’ll get. Thank you.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

14. Member
    I have a brand new Carbon 12" with the Enhanced only. Tried like crazy to get this to work, but it is strange.

...it sort of works. Obviously I can't just grab the $35 card since it isn't a Live unit, but I'd like better contour coloring than I have. Is my only option to buy the complete map?

Quote Originally Posted by Deephaven View Post
    I have a brand new Carbon 12" with the Enhanced only. Tried like crazy to get this to work, but it is strange.

...it sort of works. Obviously I can't just grab the $35 card since it isn't a Live unit, but I'd like better contour coloring than I have. Is my only option to buy the complete map?
    it is weird. There is a video on u-tube showing how to set it up but I had to watch it several times to get mine setup and am still not real happy with it.
    I have a Gen3 and I got the $35 card. I like the Contours but It doesn’t show creek channels and river beds like my Navonics chip.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

16. Member
    You can also see I chose 0, 8, 16 feet. It seems to center the colors, not use the values as thresholds. I had way more steps in, but reduced them to post here.

Of course if I zoom out as well it all turns red. Can't see anywhere near enough of the lake without panning to know where to run. Figured with only 3 contours it ought to be able to manage.

Bill - how were you able to buy the $35 card? Just from the link? When I click on it, it thinks forever and never goes anywhere.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123