DURA-CRAFT / TRIM HELP

I have a 2008 1654 Dura-Craft Crappie boat with a 60 Mercury efi 4 stroke on it. My problem is i have just about no trim at all. If it is tucked under and you take off & hit the trim just a little that is it. Boat will do 37 mph at 6 thousand rpm's with the 60 on it & i'am not complaining about that. But the lack of trim has me concerned it is little to nothing.
    Would some Vance 2 degree spacers help this boat. I have no knowledge of these but i have read about them helping other boats that had little to no trim. It does have a Permatrim foil that i put on it. Without the foil it would porpoise at top speed it does not do that now at all the Permatrim foil stopped that and it holds the boat straight & true & comes out of the hole great. The motor is in the last hole all the way down. Did not check PTP.
    I have had a lot of boats but i never had one with the lack of trim that this one has. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Could be a tired trim cylinder or pump?? You never said if it actually can get all the way to the top of the trim piston or not? Does it work OK on the trailer, all through the full cycle? with weight on the motor on the upswing? Trim pumps/seals can go bad. Luckily on that motor, it is pretty easy to find rebuilt, or used ones and replace the whole module. Might be worth checking. The whole porpoising thing is probably a function of weight distribution and motor height more than anything. Most boats (most) should be able to run without a trim foil normally, if loaded and motor height are set up correctly. Good luck man...

3. Member
    Trim works perfect in the water or out of water. All seals & fluid is spot on. I need to check PTP. The motor is all the way down on the transom. That could be part of the problem.
    Still need to know if anyone has used the Vance 2 degree transom wedges.

4. Member
    If you're doing 37 on that rig, that's great. With mod vee hulls, there is very little trim range before porpoise. I had an old 50 Merc back in the 70s that would trim up, but would not hold. Turns out I had a very small leak. Please consider that transom wedges will impact the running attitude of your hull and you'll lose up to 3mph. If I ground off the transom wedges of my RT188, I'd have a 50mph boat that would porpoise with any trim. One question, where does your hull cut water while underway? If it's at the console or further back, that's as good as you can expect. If you're not running a steel prop, get one.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

5. Member
    Yes it has a nice stainless prop & will do 6 thousand rpm's with me in it and 5800 with 2 people. It cuts water just behind me at the console & glides along at 37 mph very nicely. I have had a Dura-Craft before but it was a 1754 with a 90 Mercury on it & it had plenty of trim so i guess i figured this one should have it also. Guess i was wrong. It might be the best this boat is going to get. If i raised the motor up one notch what would it do. Before i put the Permatrim foil on it would porpoise at high speed it does not do that now it rides smooth at 37 mph. It is a great little boat but just having little to no trim bothers me. Guess i better get used to it. Thanks for your help GEAUXTIDE.