Curado K VS Daiwa Tatula SV TW?

What’s everyone’s experience with these two reels? Ive been going back and fourth for a good week or so now, and can’t come to a conclusion. I’m looking to pick up a 8:1 gear ratio reel primarily for jigs and frogging. I know this debate is like chevy VS fords, but I’m just looking for some feedback on people who’ve had experience with both reels. Thank you

2. Member
    You really can't go wrong with either, but I favor the Tatula SV TW reels myself. I've just had better luck getting them dialed in and that SV spool is awesome for skipping frogs, swim jigs, or anything else you'd normally skip. I also like the T-Wing system for pitching baits.

3. Member
    I have the 7.3/7.4 ratio reels.

As mentioned they are both great reels. To me the biggest driver would be what types of brakes you prefer. Other than that I think the Curado feels a bit sturdier (my opinion), it holds slightly more line and it weighs about 0.4 oz more, but to me these are pretty minor differences vs the breaking. No right or wrong here as far as I'm concerned.

4. Member
    Both excellent and somewhat equal options

5. Member
    Both are really good reels, basically comes down to personal preference as to what you like. I've been a Daiwa guy for a long time but I'm really enjoying my Curado K. The last revision of the 103SV TW is really good. I like the SV spool more for casting into the wind than skipping baits. Feels solid for it's low weight. I'd agree with 2eachhisown though in that the Curado feels sturdier in hand. It's a little smoother on the retrieve as well but that could be because my SV TW is 8.1:1 and the Curado is the 7.4:1. I really like the SVS Infinity brake system Shimano has. I can slide jigs, frogs and swimbaits way up under stuff with the Curado. I can do it with the SV as well, but the SVS is really agreeing with me. Probably won't sell my Tats but as I purchase reels I'll probably gravitate toward Shimanos.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

6. Member
    I own both, and they each do different things for me. I use my Curado 201XG K with 50# braid for frogs and punching under 1 oz. The bigger handle is something I've found I like with that kind of work. I use my 2017 Tat SV TW on my chatterbait rod with 15# fluoro because I never have to worry about redialing the reel in if I swap from, say, a 1/2 Jackhammer with Zako to a 3/4 oz War Eagle spinnerbait with a big colorado. I feel like I have more control with SV spool'd Daiwas, while I get way more power out of my Curado platform reels.

They're both excellent reels, but they each do different things for me and I know that it comes down to preference in the end.

7. Member
    Everyone’s experience is different. For me, the Tatula sv is better for shorter presentations like pitching and skipping and casting lighter baits; the Curado is better for distance and cranking. Like mentioned above, I think it really comes down to which braking style fits you better and which brand you have more confidence in.

8. Member
    The Tatula sv is better for pitching, skipping, and target casting. Very difficult to backlash this reel. The curado has more power and better distance. Don’t think you can go wrong with either, it just depends on your application.

9. Member
    I ended up going with the curado.. seemed more applicable for what I tend on using it for. Thanks for everyone’s input!

10. Member
    About the only thing they should be in the same sentence for is durability and popularity.
    Other than that .... these 2 reels are on opposite sides of the spectrum.
    One is a power power reel with a big spool for long distance casting and room for heavy braid.
    The other is a finesse type or skipping reel.
    They both have their strengths...
    A more comparative conversation would be the Tatula SV against the Curado 70K MGL.
    Those 2 side by side ...Now it’s a conversation.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southcoast Bassin View Post
    The other is a finesse type or skipping reel.
    Maybe you should tell that to all the guys flipping, punching and frogging with the Tatula, they must be doing it wrong. I've personally done all 3 with mine and wouldn't hesitate for a minute to load it back up with big line and do it again. Too many people get in their minds that the shallow spool equals finesse but that's just not true. The Curado 70 MGL is an amazing flipping reel as well and the guy that go me to try the Curado uses his 70s for flipping and frogging. Sure you won't bomb long casts with heavy line but why would you need to flipping, pitching or up close frogging? The control the smaller spools give you is amazing for precise presentations.
    2009 Triton 21X3 250 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    Minn Kota Fortrex 80
    2 Lowrance HDS Live 12s at bow w/ Active Target
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and 12 at console
    2 8' Power Pole Pro Series

12. Member
    I love the Curado 70s for jigs/worms/pitching. Only problem I had was that reel does not like really heavy line on it. Did fine with up to 17# FC but when I go to flip and pitch pads with 20 or 25# Berkley Big Game line that reel was horrible. I just bought two of the Diawa Tatula Elite Pitch/Flip reels for my heavy mono and plan to use them on my pitching rods with 15# fluoro to see if I like them better than the Curado 70s this season.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

13. Member
    I have tried to like the Daiwa reels but I just don't. For what it is worth, I prefer Lews but I have a Shimano K and to me it is a much better reel than the Daiwa.

14. Member
    Not talking just the spool ....
    Anyone who fished both will agree..
    The overall handle size , feel and gear strength of the Curado K plays a bigger part in heavy power fishing applications.
    Couldnt agree more with the precision placement of the Tatula SV they are great reels.
    They can both do both types of fishing... however they do different things better then each other.
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limitlong View Post
    I have tried to like the Daiwa reels but I just don't.
    Same here, and I do own both in question.

16. Member
    Got my curado k.. absolutely love how it feels in hand compared to my other daiwa ct... I know two completely different reels, just feels so much more solid and absolutely cannot wait to put it to action