USA Prop/pvs questions

Good morning. I’m new to the forum here. I recently acquired a 98 cobra 201d with a 98 mercury 200 efi. Boat handles amazingly well and was in great shape except for a few issues with the carpet. Anyway I’ve made a few runs with it and am having some blowout when getting on plane. It powers through and gets on plane just obviously needs some attention. We compression tested the engine yesterday and it showed 115-120 across all cylinders according to the gauge we used. It appears to have a 10” jack plate but I will measure to confirm. The prop is a 25 tempest. It has a few dings on it and appears to have no pvs plugs in it. The boat topped out at 61 mph yesterday according to the lowrance gps with 2 men in the boat and no tackle. It seemed to be running about 5600-5700 rpm. I don’t think this is a bad top speed considering a 225 may have been better suited on this boat. I am not new to boats but have never had to deal with pvs system and haven’t ever played around with props. I guess my main question is if anyone has and experience with what this setup would like as far as the pvs goes or if there is a better prop setup for this boat. The rig has a new impeller. I plan to put in new spark plugs and a new fuel filter this week as well as a lower unit service. Is there any other service I should do. Thank you

2. Banned
    It took me forever to find the right prop. I repowered to a 200 EFI after mine had blown.. I went with a fury 24p.. I was using a tempest 23p and I was getting around 60 mph after the repower with a 200 efi on a 18'8 boat. Switched to a 24 p fury and I am hitting 65 mph. When I was running a 150 efi with a 23 tempet I was running 54 before the repower and with a new prop I am hitting 65 mph with the 200 hp.. Now for pcv I started with none in an added to see how it ran after that.

This is the right spot for your boat or setup questions. Motor questions are best asked in the motors section below. I am pretty sure your 200 EFI is a 3.0L V6 so it should be asked in that subsection. Be sure to list the serial number as is required to get the expert opinions.

A 200 on a big 20' foot boat is going to require a good prop. If you are getting good lift and performance out of the Tempest then I would just drop down to a 24 Tempest. Keep the 25 as a spare and get it cleaned up. It will be a perfect winter prop and will work in a pinch during the summer. If you do not like the Tempest try to find a 23P Fury 3 or Fury 4. The Tempest, or both Fury versions seem to be what most bass boats run. There are exceptions though like the Bravo versions but that is a whole other story. Welcome to the never-ending dilemma of finding the "perfect" prop.

PVS holes just affect the hole shot. If they are all empty, put a large PVS plug in (one at a time) to see if hole shot gets to your liking. If it struggles, back out the changes until you like it. It is OK for a little revving as the boat breaks over but should not require you to get out of the throttle.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I just remembered, there is a guy in my bass club that runs that boat but do not remember what motor he has. I will find out next week and post up his set up. It runs well.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

5. Member
    Mine is a '02 Cobra 201 DC running a '03 Merc 225 EFI worked, off a 10" Slidemaster with holeshot plate set at 2 7/8" P2P, spinning a 25" Trophy Plus small hub, or 26" Tempest Plus both worked by Croxton for my set up. Trophy Plus is set up with no hub ring and solid plugs for the PVS, and Tempest Plus large hole PVS giving me a 3900 rpm holeshot break over 3-5 sec, 35mph 7 sec.
    I would strongly suggest for you to send the prop to Croxton to have it B&B, and run it with large hole PVS. Give Mark all the information you listed above, since he may suggest adding a bit of cupping to it, but you are good with 5700 rpm, so he may just B&B it.
    You will be amazed at the gains and difference it will make, and I believe that if no 1 changed your JP, it should be a 8" Slidemaster.

BTW, here is a run down of the PVS. On acceleration, exhaust is drawn out of the vent hole. When the propeller blade strikes this aerated water, it pushes through it much easier than it would solid water - causing engine rpm to increase more rapidly. Once you're on plane, the water flows over the vent holes and seals in the exhaust, allowing the propeller to again operate in solid, non aerated water. By varying the size of the exhaust hole and controlling your engine's rpm, you can eliminate sluggish performance or compensate for changes in load an altitude.
    Last edited by digthemup; 01-06-2021 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling

6. Member
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I’ll get some pvs plugs to play with as well as look into the props suggested and look into sending it to croxton. This is off topic I don’t know if I’m supposed to start a new thread but I’ll ask it here. I assume the rocker switches on the console used to have some sort of labels but mine are long gone. If anyone still has factory switches with some sort of labeling they could send a picture of it would help me to identify them all and make sure everything is working properly in each mode.

thanks again

7. Member
    Avey,
    There is a sticky thread at the start of the forum that Backlash Ar did with different places to possibly still get parts.
    I used a label maker to make mine, but I would love to buy a new panel, though it seem kinda of a pain to replace it.

8. Member
    A new panel would be awesome but I’m just trying to figure out what each switch is supposed to do. If you or anyone has their switches labeled and they are in the original configuration could you send me a pic? I have a couple switches that aren’t working or don’t seem to turn anything on. I’m wanting to find out so I can troubleshoot and relabel mine . Thank you
    98 Cobra 201D 98 Mercury 200 EFI

9. Member
    I ordered these for mine, they were melted and wore off. Mine is a 1998 188d so im not sure if the layout is the same or not but once you figure out whats what these pop right on.

https://newwiremarine.com/marine-gra...switch-covers/

I run a 200 pro xs opti on my 188 and have hit 67 mph with a 24p tempest with no plugs. I dont know what the weight difference is between them but i feel you should get some more top end out of that 200.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AVEY View Post
    A new panel would be awesome but I’m just trying to figure out what each switch is supposed to do. If you or anyone has their switches labeled and they are in the original configuration could you send me a pic? I have a couple switches that aren’t working or don’t seem to turn anything on. I’m wanting to find out so I can troubleshoot and relabel mine . Thank you
    I have the pictures but for some unknown reason I can't get them to upload.
    Hopefully, Backlash Ar can help you out, since I believe that is who sent them to me.