Thread: 2004 90hp

2004 90hp

90elpto
    Sn.0t918901
    Motor starts and idles great jumps out of the hole and will get up to top speed but after a few minutes develops a miss can push in key and gets worse so I feel it is ignition related replaced sparkplugs no change at idle shows spark on all 3 cylinders any suggestions on where to go next.
    Thanks for any and all help

2. Member
    still could be fuel related , hook timming light up to each cyl when miss is occuring observe flash
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

Also watch not just to see if there "is" a flashing pattern... make sure the pattern remains consistent when the problem is occurring.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Thanks for responding will have to check this weekend problem has only been noticable at work hopefully will show up on light where I can check
    Again thanks for trying to help

5. Member
    So far the only time I have noticed missis at wot could only run on hose this weekend but checked with timing light and could not make it do it .found top dead center on all 3 pistons and marked on flywheel when checking each cylinder light stayed consistent with that cylinder up to about 2500 rpm .one thing about this motor over the course of the year the boat lost about 5 mph when I realized this and started checking simple things noticed butterfly's in carbs were not opening all the way so I adjusted throttle stop screw after doing that the arm running from throttle arm to carbs kept popping out of bushing so I realized as the throttle was advanced rod was crawling out of bushing not allowing to open fully so I re adjusted with rod pulled all the way into bushing but it doesn't want to stay now when advancing throttle like something out of line for the life of me I cannot see it .my question is is there anything in sync and link I should be looking at that could be causing the miss at wot.i know long post but trying to give history just so odd modern idles so good and comes out of hole so we'll again thanks

6. Member
    This is my 19 year old sons boat and I am not in it very often is why some information seems a little strange

7. Member
    prob need to replace clips that hold linkage in arm,change plugs /correct ones make sure fuel supply is clean and good to carbs check pulse pump integrity
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    I have the same motor and had same problem. My problem was self Inflicted I lost a
    the fuel line between the fuel filter and carberatur, I was in a hurry did a quick fix with regular fuel line and it worked great for a few weeks. Even though I had a good loop in the line it started to suck it closed on high rpm's. I finally went and got a mercury fuel filter and it came with the molded hose.problem fixed.

My 2002 was doing something similar and the interior lining of fuel lines had broke down and plugged fuel pump and filter. Replaced fuel lines, fuel filter and cleaned fuel pump, never had issue again.

10. Member
    Thanks for the replies I will check it out as soon as weather breaks