Banned

1999 , 150 fast strike

I'm looking at a used boat and I dont know much about the motors, went to look at a 92 Stratos 18’ with a 1999 150 fast strike, of course the guy said it ran perfect last time he had it out in April, lol the boat cover was ripped and laying off the boat and the battery area and a couple inch's of water in it [ its been raining a lot in my neck of the woods] because of the angle he had the boat. we tried to start the boat so I could hear it run before I did a compression check and the 2 inch long black wire on the starter solenoid got hot and melted the plastic coating off and the neg cable on the battery got hot, after a couple minutes the battery ran down so we couldnt start it and I did not do a compression check . what would cause this? TKS.

2. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Torn cover,,water standing in bilge area,,run away fast! No reason to troubleshoot someone else's boat, especially one that hasn't been maintained. Problem could be as simple as cranking too long and some other issue preventing from starting or could be worse....Again, I wouldnt troubleshoot or even fix a boat I am looking to buy. Have the owner prepare it for you to do comp test, hear it run, take it for a test run, if he is serious and there are not any issues, he will do it.
    Last edited by omcforever; 01-06-2021 at 10:45 AM.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

3. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    and cranked for 2 minutes and nothing,,,,,. unless you have lots of $$$$$$$$

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

4. Banned
    tks for the info.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Some folks should own a boat and some shouldn't, if the owner was too dumb to remove the drain plug, no telling how the hull is never mind the engine. Sad. but walk away unless you can low ball him and you have some extra Jing.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Some folks should own a boat and some shouldn't, if the owner was too dumb to remove the drain plug, no telling how the hull is never mind the engine. Sad. but walk away unless you can low ball him and you have some extra Jing.
    Yep one being in that shape there would be no danger of me being interested in it. Could be a very expensive yard ornament real easy like.