Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sonar Pros Dedicated Wire Hardness

Anyone running one of these? Looking for feedback. Mulling over the 360 and the multi unit versions.
    2013 Ranger Z521 | 250 Merc Pro XS

2. Member
    I'm using the Sea Clear harness. Very very happy with it.

Sorry, no feedback on the Sonar Pros but I'm sure it's very similar.

3. Member
    Only downside is price and if you switch sonar brands or the power cord changes
    Nitro z21

It's actually very easy to build your own harness for less than what they charge. It's not like an ECU wiring harness with tons of wires, its literally just a positive and negative from each unit.
    Last edited by alpine4x4; 01-06-2021 at 11:53 AM.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

Quote Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
    It's actually very easy to build your own harness for less than what they charge. It's not like an ECA wiring harness with tons of wires, its literally just a positive and negative from each unit.

Quote Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
    It's actually very easy to build your own harness for less than what they charge. It's not like an ECU wiring harness with tons of wires, its literally just a positive and negative from each unit.
    I agree, it's very simply to build your own harness if you have the proper tools and skill set.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

If you have the skill set to install any of these you have the skill set to make your own for less
    You can buy the proper tools and materials and still come in around half the cost and be able to do this again for even cheaper the next time
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

11. Member
    I have been doing this exact same thing for years. Only I have been using upsized power leads over what they are using. I use the same weatherproof fuse holders, the same protective cover, soldering and heat shrinking all connections/connectors. Because I have some of these supplies already on hand and bought them in bulk, it is hard to get an exact cost number. My best guess (using 8 gauge as the main feed to both dash and bow) is that I built mine for under 1/2 of what they charge. I believe it is closer to 1/3 the cost. Of course, that does not account for anything for my time.

So it depends if you have the tools and skills along with the time or not to do this yourself. If not, then it looks like they build a nice product.

12. Member
    <-- Might need to pick that up depending on the route I go.

Great feedback and it is awesome some of you are making these. I am more mechanically inclined than I am with electrical matters. Though I've installed several sets on HID Headlamps in the past on motorcycles, that doesn't count because they were plug n play and finding places for the ballasts, lol. Recently replaced rivets on two compartment lids and made a custom storage container for my birds but for electronics I am just going to pay to have it done. Even if I bought the materials and tools, assuming I efficiently installed it in 1 day, I'm going to say it'll take at least two days of my time. I will pay the cost to give me more 2 days on the water a year.

13. Member
    Are you soldering all your positive (and negative) leads together and making it one connection at the battery?

14. Member

15. Member
    Discussed my plan for dual helix 12's at bow and console with the dealer I go to and they said my 2013 came with 14 gauge wire which isn't sufficient for dual graphs at a single location, you get the flickering/voltage issues. They would re-wire with 10 or 8 gauge for the install, which wasn't needed for my current setup. Sounds like they "build" their own for customers.

Are you guys who made your own running individual lines for each unit or just running 1 or 2 main lines? Like 1 8 gauge spliced off to 2 bow and 2 console units? Or single wires to bow and console, each supplying power to 2 units. I just want to make sure I am getting as much clarity as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by DC516 View Post
    Discussed my plan for dual helix 12's at bow and console with the dealer I go to and they said my 2013 came with 14 gauge wire which isn't sufficient for dual graphs at a single location, you get the flickering/voltage issues. They would re-wire with 10 or 8 gauge for the install, which wasn't needed for my current setup. Sounds like they "build" their own for customers.

Are you guys who made your own running individual lines for each unit or just running 1 or 2 main lines? Like 1 8 gauge spliced off to 2 bow and 2 console units? Or single wires to bow and console, each supplying power to 2 units. I just want to make sure I am getting as much clarity as I can.
    I run 6ga from battery to fuse block and then run 10ga from the block to each unit.
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

Note:

Wire comes in diferent classes and styles
    If you really want to go all out check the number of strands and the size of the strands of the wire your buying

I use a 6AWG low resistantce welding wire that has 3 times the number of strands then standard wire from my battery to a bluesea fuse block and then 10 awg hook up wire to each graph

See each size wire has at least 3 and up to 6 different styles of stranding

Example:
    10 AWG comes in 3 styles

37/26 = 37 strands of 26awg wire
    49/27 = 49 strands of 27awg wire
    105/30 = 105 strands of 30awg wire

The last one 105/30 is the best for this application the smaller the strand the lower the resistance and the more strands handles higher current/voltage levels

Look up 10awg “Hook Up” wire most of these are the 105/30 tinned wire

It is designed for very high end car audio systems

stranded-wire-chart-awg.jpg
    "The handicapped angler"

18. Member
    Check this out.....an option is to also look at the custom button. Simple. Easy. Cheap.

They were great to work with.

https://www.gregsmarinewiresupply.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerZ519 View Post
    Check this out.....an option is to also look at the custom button. Simple. Easy. Cheap.

They were great to work with.

https://www.gregsmarinewiresupply.com/
    See this is the way to go if your not that skilled at creating your own harness

hell 10 foot of 6 awg is only 17 dollars with connectors and colored heat shrink

I don't see custom cables for under 8 awg but I bet they will do it if you contact them
    "The handicapped angler"

20. Member
    Whatever wire you get make sure it is tinned. If you get Marine grade it will be very fine stranded and individually tinned to retain flexibility. And don't solder it, crimp it with marine connectors. The cost difference is not much. JMO Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast