Warning buzzer help / 20XD setup

I'm new to the Bullet world and was looking for some help in diagnosing a warning buzzer as well as advice on my setup. So when I bought the boat the previous owner had 5 degree wedges for negative trim installed and at WOT I was running 75-78 at 5700rpm. I recently added a foil from Unique Boat Products and decided to remove the wedges without changing anything else in how the boat is set up except for plugging four holes in the prop with the large diameter vent plugs. After doing this I was running about 68 and noticed I was at 5900rpm when the buzzer sounded. Water PSI was fine (12-15) at lower speeds and trim levels but I did not see what it was reading at the time of the buzzer. I'm assuming this is an over trim issue but wanted to get some more experienced guys opinions? Also should note I did change the water pump and cleaned the water strainer prior to this run but water pressure was good.

225 Mercury Sport XS
    1.62 Sportmaster Lower
    26P Fury 4 Blade
    13.5" Setback
    Prop to pad 2.5" above

Also would like some opinions as to what kind of top end speed I should be able to get with a tournament load (3 group 27 interstate batteries, 30 gal gas, 80lb Ultrex and helix 10 at bow, Helix 10 and 7 at console, plus about 550lbs for two guys plus gear)?

2. Member
    I’m not well versed in the warning buzzers, but I thought they were for over temp or low oil in the engine mounted reservoir. You might need to ask in the motor section for someone with a service manual to that engine to verify the different alarms.

I would think your boat should do low to mid 80s.

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225

3. Member
    I think your motor is a little high. I would lower at least 1/2 inch. Not sure a Fury will work good with that much prop out of the water. If you pick up speed with the 1/2 inch lowering, go down another 1/4 inch. You will NOT be able to run at full trim, maybe 60-75% of available trim. The buzzer might have been rev limit. IMO that is a lot of set back on a 20 but may work OK. As a reference point my 20XD running a Bravo 28 with same lower unit and a 250XS running 1-3/8 below pad was around 83-84 at 5500-5600 RPM (my rev limit was 6250). 12" jack plate
    With the correct set up and correct prop (Fury may be fine) I would expect low 80's at the 5800 RPM range empty. On a warm day with load described a 225 should get close, very close to 80. I prefer the 4 blade like a Bravo with the prop running at the surface.
    I am not familiar with that foil but there is none better than a C. Bailey Bullet Foil. https://drewcraft.com/cb_marine/

4. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. I have been thinking the motor may need to come down some so I will give that a try and see if I see gains. I followed the link to the Bailey Bullet Foil and the one I have is very similar to that.

4FFB30E1-FE80-4115-BC39-4E4B50AD4348.jpeg

When I ran a 225 sport w 1.62s....1.5”, 14” of set back. I had a 27 Ol Bravo 1 dual holes, Hydro Q4 XOB, 26 Razor 4 and several other that were ok.

as stated your mota is too high and you do not have the best of prop choices....you should be runnin 82-85 depending on load.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

6. Member
    When I ran a 20 XD w/ 225 proxs. Coned torque master. I only ran 1.25 above with 12 inch setback.also ran a hydromotive xob. Most of the time. Best I saw was 83+ on a lowrance gps.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

7. Member
    I had the same setup until about a month ago. 2.5" above is way too high. I always ran 1.25 above. I could run 1.5 but would sometimes lose water pressure in turns. My best prop was a 26 ProMax with 8 vent holes. A 26-27 Bravo is also good or a 25 Razor that has a lot of tip cup added. I have heard others say that a 26 Fury 4 runs good but it will sling a blade running those heights. I never tried one myself though. With that load you should run about 80. In the dead of winter you may see 82. Solo loaded like that should be about 3 mph faster.

8. Member
    Thanks for the input. Ill be lowering my motor as soon as I get the chance and hopefully that'll take care of the warning horn. As far as the prop goes I plan on seeing what my fury does after lowering before investing in a new but is there around the Auburn, AL area that might be willing to let me test any of the suggested props previously mentioned in this thread?