bleeding surge brakes

when bleeding my trailer brakes the right side bleeds fine but the left i cannot get any fluid out the bleeder screws. the line feeds on the right and crosses over the axle to the left. any suggestions where to start looking?
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Is the fluid level in the master cylinder going down? If it is, fluid is going somewhere. Maybe filling the line or the piston or leaking. If it isn’t Going down, something is wrong with the master cylinder, the bleeder isn’t open or a line is blocked. Connect tight-fitting plastic tubing to the bleeder And immerse the end in brake fluid in a jar. If you get bubbles, keep pumping. If you don’t get bubbles, figure out where the blockage is.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Scraps
    Could always remove the bleeders and see if something's plugged up behind. Make sure the bleeders are clean. Also try and make the tongue as low as possible, preferably lower than the calipers.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Had same kind of issue on a tube trailer.. Took a lot of pumping before I noticed where it was coming from. Brake tubing had rubbed at a bend long enough it started leaking.

5. Member
    failed to mention i was using a vacuum pump when bleeding the brakes. Would this make any difference?
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joefish View Post
    failed to mention i was using a vacuum pump when bleeding the brakes. Would this make any difference?
    Likely means a leak or blockage. Pump the master cylinder and see what happens.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    take the bleeder out and put some teflon tape on it and try again - you are sucking air across the threads
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

8. Member
    Don't think it has a leak, the vacuum gauge holds pressure steady and does not drain down. Guess I'll start looking for a blockage in the system starting at the left caliper and moving forward from there.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

9. Member
    2 piece bleeder screw?

10. Member
    I had a similar issue where I have only 1 bleeder screw on my dual axle trailer. I ended up putting a clean funnel that fits snugly in the master cylinder and fill it with brake fluid while the tongue is lowered all of the way down. The. I would crack the bleeder and put the hose and fluid collector higher than the bleeder and just pump it till fluid starts coming out. Once fluid is coming out, then I start doing the dance of bleeding out the air.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

11. Scraps
    Dab of grease around the bleeder threads and on the nipple of the bleeder can help. I have had this issue as well and why I usually end up bleeding just using the master cylinder to push the fluid through. Especially when working alone it can be a bitch to get that tube to fit right. I also use the trick booter talks about, drop a funnel in the top of the master cylinder and partially fill with fluid. This way you don't have to worry about the reservoir going dry. Just have a siphon handy, turkey baster works good, to suck out the excess fluid.

I would NOT use teflon tape on any brake fittings. This would be your first spot for a leak when the tape deteriorates.

And booter, I had the same arrangement on my MarineMaster trailer, one bleeder at the end of the brake line run. I could not get the system to bleed properly. My first indication of a problem was the fact that I wasn't getting any braking on the port side of the trailer, either wheel. MM sent me bleeders for the other three calipers and it works better.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

12. Member
    Replace the caliper, Just replaced both on my 08. One had been stuck for a few years.

13. Moderator
    Blocked bleeder?

14. Member
    Check the flexible rubber brake hose that goes to the back of the master cylinder on swing tongue trailers. My hose had been stretched too far swinging the tongue and had partially collapsed. It took me forever to figure it out!