Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Who is still using mono for deep cranking?

Thinking of trying some sunline super natural in 10LB for deep cranking. Reason for this is I have to go to a 200 size tatula for a lower gear ratio unless I go to a curado 201PG which for me is like 270 CDN which is stupid in price. Can get a tatula for a lot cheaper as well. I was also thinking of trying a 150P in right handed but think it would be awkward as hell? Has anyone tried that its been like 15 plus years since I tried right handed thoughts anyone?

Thanks Ryan

2. Member
    I cast with my right crank with left both bait caster and spinning. Much easier if you ask me. For all things bait casting it's either floro or braid except for spinnerbaits, chatter, buzz or top water.

3. Dogfish_Jones
    I use mono for my deep diving cranks, to be honest I use mono on everything but flipping jigs then I use braid.
    I am still getting the depth that it is suppose to get too. I just find mono fits my style of fishing better than fluorocarbon.
    I do have 6 or so new rolls of the Berkley FluoroShield I am going to try out in the coming weeks. It is a mix of the two.

4. Member
    I still use Berkley big game all the time on crankbaits. No issues whatsoever

5. Member
    Please let me know what you think of the Floroshield. I don’t crank a ton but it’s always been 10lb mono.
    Red Sox in 6!

6. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Please let me know what you think of the Floroshield. I don’t crank a ton but it’s always been 10lb mono.
    I will, I have it 10,12,15 and 17 lb. I got all this for a Christmas present from a fishing buddy of mine. I am interested in how it does myself, I guess he took my wondering about it when we talked before Chrsitmas and ordered me these spools.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PaRiverRat View Post
    x2

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    I will, I have it 10,12,15 and 17 lb. I got all this for a Christmas present from a fishing buddy of mine. I am interested in how it does myself, I guess he took my wondering about it when we talked before Chrsitmas and ordered me these spools.
    Did Swindle order it for you?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaRiverRat View Post
    X3
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

10. Member
    12lb Excel mono in green w/no issues. Tried other test poundage and floro and went back to the 12lb mono.

11. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Did Swindle order it for you?
    Along with my order of Little Debbies snack cakes, oatmeal cream pies, my favorite too.

12. Member
    i'm happy with Izorline for everything. Good copolymer and won't break the bank.
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

I use 10-12lb Excel mono without issue, sometimes go to PLine depending on what I have on hand. That and braid with a PLine leader are all I use across the board. I've tried fluoro a few times and never stick with it, just don't like the way it handles or the price. Had several breaks with fluoro too and not at the knot so I don't think I'm drawing it tight too quickly.

14. Member
    I bought some big spools of Steen saltwater line, 10# 12# pink for a 1$ a piece. Great for casting and cranking. If I was gonna have a dedicated rod for deep cranking, I'd go with the 10#. #12 rest of the time.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

15. Member
    12lb big game ---works for me
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

16. Member
    I may be crazy but I roll with 6-8 lb. Yo-Zuri Hybrid for my deep cranking. Tough as nails and diameter is comparable to most other 10-12 lb. lines. A little KVD line and lure the night before and I am good to go.

Except for flipping and frogging, I use Izorline Platinum copolymer on all of my rods. For deep cranking I use the 10 pound test. If I am cranking shallow cover, like laydowns, stumps, or rock plies, I'll go with the 12 pound test. Izorline has less stretch and greater abrasion resistance than all of the other lines that I have used over the years. And, it is very reasonably priced. Tackle Warehouse carries Izorline.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by Whopperstopper View Post
    i'm happy with Izorline for everything. Good copolymer and won't break the bank.
    WhooperStooper turn me on to Izorline, Thank You, put some 10# on and it has some very nice properties for cranking, and JBs. Used it quite a bit this fall. DT10s.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    WhooperStooper turn me on to Izorline, Thank You, put some 10# on and it has some very nice properties for cranking, and JBs. Used it quite a bit this fall. DT10s.
    glad you like it BC21. Happy it worked out for both of us!
    We are all born ignorant but one must work really hard to remain stupid---Ben Franklin

20. Scraps
    I use the Sunline Super natty for a lot of stuff, mostly all moving baits. Crankbaits, spinnerbaits and lipless at times. Good line, but 10lb is pretty thin. I'd compare the diameter to others and upsize the lb test. I think you could go to 14lb Sunline and be comparable to other 10lb diameters.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast