Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Favorite Jerkbait?

So I am wanting to get in to jerkbaits this upcoming year. I havent done it much in the past and is something I really want to try. Also had a tournament partner whoop me out of the back of the boat last year with a jerkbait and I was too stubborn to pick one up. I have recently purchased a rod specifically for throwing the jerkbait. Now all I need are the lures. I only own a small handful of baits and they are Rapalas.

I just want to know what are some good jerkbait brand that you guys really like that are not $25+ per bait. I know Megabass and Lucky Crafts are the deal but I fish the Mississippi River and if jagged rocks and wing dams dont take your bait a big pike will every time. So what do you guys like. I have been doing a lot of research on the SPRO McStick and it seems like a good option. Let me know. Thanks!

I’ve got a 3700 full of vision 110’s, one full of luckycraft, and one full of strike king KVD jerks. Also have a couple of 3600’s with rapala, duo realis, and miscellaneous, the strike kings are a great value if you’re just starting out.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

3. Member
    Rapala x raps... don’t cost an arm and a leg and flat out catch em

4. Member
    With jerkbaits, it's all about the stop, not the action. And any brand can work well. Get what you can afford,get a bucket of water, and adjust hooks and weight to get the suspension you desire. Even the bomber jerkbaits work well, with many having lots of flash.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Bomb...age-BSPLA.html $6.19 each. And very tough.
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/hard...ml?ccode=SWICK ANd the Smighwick Roagus, around $8 each.

My latest favorite is the Jackall Rerange. Casts well, suspends well and catches fish. They are 14.99 a pop, so not cheap, but still cheaper by $10 than a $25 bait. Landbigfish is still running a 20%off sale BTW. And Jackall has also come out with a new model, the 110 MR which is supposed to run deeper that the regular 110. I haven't fished the MR yet.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pool14RiverRat View Post
    So what do you guys like.
    Pointer 78, Flash Pointer 100, Pointer 100 & Staysee 90 ver.2 (I could survive without the Pointer 100)

7. Member
    Pointer 128
    Rouge
    Staycee 90

8. Member
    Luck-E-Strike Rick Clunn STX Jerkbait $7.99. change hardware good to go.

Not necessarily my favorite but for the budget minded they are not bad. Have not bought any new ones in a while so not sure of current quality.
    Rpala's catch fish.
    The old bombers catch fish.
    You can always pick some up on the swap sell page or ebay on the cheap if you look.
    Last edited by bbcman; 01-05-2021 at 01:01 PM.

Rapala x-rap size 10
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

10. Member
    Excalibur made one in a KVD model back in the early 2000’s that is still my all time favorite. Today it’s 110’s and Pointers 78/100. I use Gold Bombers and Original number 9/11’s mainly twitch baits.
    Red Sox in 6!

Budget picks for me. it depends on the time of year really. Cold water is an original rc stx (new ones are crap IMO), or 6th Sense provoke. In the summer I find a rapala xrap does great.

My tournament partner is a jerk bait expert and has been so for decades. The only bait he fishes is a #10 Rapala Husky Jerk.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Quote Originally Posted by bbcman View Post
    Luck-E-Strike Rick Clunn STX Jerkbait $7.99. change hardware good to go.

Not necessarily my favorite but for the budget minded they are not bad. Have not bought any new ones in a while so not sure of current quality.
    Rpala's catch fish.
    The old bombers catch fish.
    You can always pick some up on the swap sell page or ebay on the cheap if you look.
    Netted an 8.5 lber for a buddy that he caught on an STX. I have always like the Purple Green Apple color in that line of baits. They are a shameless knockoff of Megabass 110's.

For the super budget conscious folks, Predator baits sells painted 110 knockoffs for $5. Unpainted blanks are $3.25.

14. Member
    I prefer the LC pointer 78 and 78dd but have did alot of damage on the kvd 300 deep. You can get them on sale at LBF for about $8.00. Don't go crazy. You know the colors that will work. Get a shorter one and longer one in shallow and deep and you are good to go.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

15. Member
    Husky jerks and smithwick rogues. Check ebay for Great deals on lots. I got some great deals on jerkbaits on the swap board!! Bomber 14a can be a great limit finder!! Start with gold colors and work your way around other colors
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

16. Member
    Berkley cutter 110+ and Rogues ---also use the H20 (academy) all work great
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

17. Member
    If the 110 is too pricey the Rearange and Pointer 100 or 78 would be my picks. Slighter cheaper I would get a 6th sense provoke. Great colors and they perform well. I agree about the original run RC STX baits being good. The colors and quality on the new ones are not even close to the same.

The KDS, board sponsor has a 110 that has great action. And is the closest knock off of the MB110

https://www.fishkds.com/apps/webstor...1504260?page=1

The Rerange and Rerange MB are very good.
    The STX is a bit thicker in the back than the MB110.

The Rouge is tried and true, caught more in the JB than any other.

I’ve been a Rapala guy my whole life and still love them. I do like my Smithwicks also.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

20. Member
    Don't forget the floating baits either. Rapala and smithwick have great ones. I finally got my floating rogue collection right where I want it. Just gotta dig out my rapala 13s. Gonna have a spinning rod set up just for these.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast