Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lynx to Eyra or Puma

Thinking of selling my Lynx and getting an Eyra or Puma. Thoughts?
    2019 Basscat Lynx
    2019 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4s
    SN: 2B586555

2. Moderator
    I like a wide boat, so I wouldn't do it......Is there something you don't like about the lynx?

3. Member
    I'll trade you a 2018 Eyra for your Lynx. 2 Helix 10s, Garmin Livescope, Ultrex and extended warranty.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SP1973 View Post
    Thinking of selling my Lynx and getting an Eyra or Puma. Thoughts?
    To get responses to help in your decision, what is your reason for possibly leaving the Lynx?

The Lynx, Puma, and Eyra are very different rigs. Compared to the Lynx, the Puma and Eyra offer a different experience from performance to fishability.

Phil Addison has owned all three models and would have excellent knowledge for a true comparison.
    Maybe he will chime in.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

5. Member
    I’m curious as well. I own an 18 Lynx.

7. Member
    Steve,
    We have talked about your Lynx before. I’m running a Jag now, but have owned over a Dozen Pumas and have some limited knowledge on the Eyra.
    having had two Lynx and a bunch of Pumas, I might be able to offer helpful comments.

Mike WHitten

8. Member
    I’d like to hear of your experiences as well.

I'd be eye balling the new cougar/ updated top cap. As for going down to a Eyra from a lynx... I've been in a Lynx, and owned a caracal and a puma. Currently in a 2021 Eyra. All of those boats have a lot more storage in them. Things fit organized and tight in the Eyra. I usually use the drivers side rod box for life jackets, spinning rods and a few other things that don't get used often. The other compartments are pretty packed out and I wouldnt say that I have an absurd amount of stuff. I do believe this layout and size of the boat work well for alot of fishing scenarios. Keep in mind its narrow up front. And even though from carpet edge to edge is long, the neck down at the nose forces your rods down a good bit and the tips will hang over your co anglers rods/ off the box. I've been fishing in a new classic lately and the extra width up at the top is pretty nice, 7' rods do not hang off the lockers at all. Mike Allens been fishing out of a Lynx over a year now and has been running co angler in a new Eyra so he would probably have some better comparisons.
    "the head, the tail, the whole damn thing"

10. Member
    Mite consider the caracal since you already have a wide deck cat. Love my 2020 caracal.

11. Member
    I currently own both. Keep them on different lakes. I am retired and fun fish only. If the boss would approve I would trade the puma for another lynx. More room, big water ride and the ability to move tm pedal back. I have a 300 on the lynx, 250 on the puma, they both can easily hit mid 70’s which is normally faster than I need to go. Normally. Good luck
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

12. Member
    I went from a Lynx to a Puma , no complaints.

13. Member
    Loaded question being asked......Explaining what you don't like about the Lynx would make it easier to suggest what might fit your needs. All 3 or 4 models have pro and cons and all people have their own ideas and/or needs. Easiest way for me to do this is just list out some of the characteristics and give you a boat choice based on MY opinion. All boats powered by 250 Mercury Pro XS 4s.

Ride - Lynx for most as it will cover up bad driving in rough water. An Eyra can be really good as it is very responsive to the throttle. Puma and Cougar are very good and for most is better than an Eyra.

Top End Speed - Eyra should run over 80 mph if you know how to drive and might run up to 82 or 83 on good days when lightly loaded. Mine would top out just over 82 and on most days 81.5. If you load an Eyra down, then it may not run any better than a Puma/Cougar with same weight. My current Lynx will run 74-75 loaded and 77 lighter load. Same weight in a Puma/Cougar then they become very close in top end speed.

Mid range acceleration - size of the boat matters and the size of the prop matters. All things equal an Eyra wins.

Space - not even close. Lynx may have more space than any boat on the market and that includes storage space. If you're lazy and you like to sit and retie a lure or mess with tackle, the Lynx is hands down the best layout with an Eyra being second. An Eyra has the least storage space. Huge storage boxes in the rear on a Lynx as well.

Leg space behind the wheel - Lynx with about the same in a Puma/Cougar.

Eye height above the windshield - depends on what one likes. Puma/Cougar one sits higher. Lynx is a tad lower or the console might be a tad larger. Eyra is the lowest. I had to remove the windshield on my Eyra so that my view was not distorted by having to look through windshield.

Fishability - depends on how you fish most of the time. Tight quarters (flood bushes, tight docks, timber) Eyra. Big water Lynx. Eyra is very responsive to the trolling motor and a Lynx is great in open water or going down a bank, grass line, etc. A Lynx is the least responsive to trollingmotor.

Gas tanks - Lynx 60-61 gallons the other 3 50 gallons.

Fuel milege - best is Eyra, but if going distance then Lynx may travel farther as you have 10+ gallons more fuel. if you're purchasing an $80-$100K boat i doubt fuel economy is not that big of a deal.

Price - Lynx is the most expensive. Eyra/Puma/Cougar all similar in price and cheaper in price compared to the Lynx by several thousand dollars.

All are top of the line boats when compared to anything on the market. Each individual has different opinions on what is best for them and thus the reason BCB has 6 models greater than 20+ and an SP model. Personally, the Eyra is the most fun boat behind the wheel and a Lynx is the most comfortable boat! I will likely be getting another Lynx when the time comes.

14. Member
    Phil, as always, excellent overview of all the models.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by Hogbus View Post
    I currently own both. Keep them on different lakes. I am retired and fun fish only. If the boss would approve I would trade the puma for another lynx. More room, big water ride and the ability to move tm pedal back. I have a 300 on the lynx, 250 on the puma, they both can easily hit mid 70’s which is normally faster than I need to go. Normally. Good luck

Thanks for the replies. I just mainly don’t like the way the Lynx drives at lower speeds. I also don’t like having to keep the majority of my tackle in the back to get it to lift. I know some of you guys have had prop work done that may help. I usually carry a lot of tackle, rods, and try to keep my tanks topped off in case I want to make a long run. I have had a Bullet and an Allison and 4 “X HP” hull Tritons. Not really interested in speed. It is a very good rough water boat. It fishes like a smaller boat even though it’s wide.
    2019 Basscat Lynx

17. Member
    I haven't been in a basscat that likes slower speed! Maybe it's set up but my eyra doesn't perform well unless doing 50+

Really just 2 issues but both are closely related. I don’t like how it drives at slower speeds especially when there is a lot of other boat wake. I also don’t like having to put my tackle in the back. Mine is 2 years old now and don’t know if I could afford a new Lynx if I traded Other than that I truly like the boat.
    2019 Basscat Lynx

Sorry for the double post. Couldn’t find it then after I posted a second time the first showed back up
    2019 Basscat Lynx

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SP1973 View Post
    Really just 2 issues but both are closely related. I don’t like how it drives at slower speeds especially when there is a lot of other boat wake. I also don’t like having to put my tackle in the back. Mine is 2 years old now and don’t know if I could afford a new Lynx if I traded Other than that I truly like the boat.
    Mine does fine at lower speeds. It has only been run on lake fork. Plenty of other boats. Plenty big water. I keep the jackplate pretty low and running a stock 24 fury four blade good luck
    2020 BCB Lynx 300 pro xs 4s
    2013 BCB Puma 250 pro xs
    WPS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast