1983 Black Max 2.4 200 Starter bendix not disengaging

Working on a project motor, serial number 6392691. Trying to get running for my son. Starter was grinding and sticking in the up position when tested. Replaced starter with new. New starter is engaging, turning motor over perfectly. But the Bendix does not disengage. Took off the power and ran directly to starter to bypass the solenoid. Turns motor over, but Bendix still stuck in up position. Even when power is removed, bendix stays up.
    Any idea what would cause this? When I put new starter on the bendix would pop right back down. Does the motor need to start to kick down the bendix ? Battery is showing 12.2 volts. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Tom

2. Member
    some fine toothed flywheels use different drives need to be sure your drive matches flywheel
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And keep in mind that the drive gear may remain engaged/up UNTIL the engine fires/starts.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    +1 forgot to answer that sorry
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Good to hear. I was hoping that could be a possibility. Just removed the advance module. Checking for spark in all cylinders and then doing sync and link. Was just suprised that the bendix would not slide down when starter was turned off.
    Thanks
    Tom