Thread: TM2 skeg repair

TM2 skeg repair

SN 2b011372

I broke off a chunk of my skeg and insurance is wanting to weld, stating Mercury provides a replacement skeg to be able to weld on. I'm fighting with them on the liability of the weld failing and losing control of boat.

I'm trying to get a replacement case from them and swap internals, although they are already paying for new prop shaft and to rework the prop. I believe they are also paying for tear down of lower unit to inspect gears and to check transom and mounts.

Is it true that there is a replacement skeg for the tm2 case? If so, what would be the mercury part number?

20201227_114608.jpg20201227_114608.jpg
    2014 Legend Alpha 211r
    2024 Mercury ProXS 250 3B460301

I'd be worried about the gears as well. I hit a stump at fork and bent the propshaft "worse" than the mechanic at the local shop had ever seen. Insurance wouldn't pay to replace the gears and 25 or 30 hours later they grenaded. Insurance paid to have them redo the lower and 75 hours later it was making metal so bad I was advised by a very well respected mechanic to just replace the lower.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Mercury does not offer a "replacement skeg" for the Torquemaster cases (Gen-1 OR Gen-2).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Mercury does not offer a "replacement skeg" for the Torquemaster cases (Gen-1 OR Gen-2).
    Thanks Don, I didn't think that there was one. I am waiting on a call back to ask them to verify the mercury part number for the "replacement".

5. Member
    But you can do it on some engines using a generic skeg , if done right its as good as new the original is welded on but get a new one that what insurance is for

6. Member
    Insurance states that they have to repair/weld the skeg back. I'm trying to push it up the ladder to get a new case. I'm going to call them back tomorrow and argue some more.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dwoods View Post
    But you can do it on some engines using a generic skeg , if done right its as good as new the original is welded on but get a new one that what insurance is for
    have not seen a "welded" case new from MERCURY enlighten us please on these
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by willymac View Post
    Insurance states that they have to repair/weld the skeg back. I'm trying to push it up the ladder to get a new case. I'm going to call them back tomorrow and argue some more.
    Of course that's what they state. It's what serves their "coffers" best!

Your dealer plays a big role in this- since they have to agree to the estimate if they're doing the work.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    ^^^^^^^^ exactly ^^^^^^^
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

To rebuild the lower will cost nearly as much as a new LU. Mercury will recommend not weld a new Skeg on and they do not have a replacement part. Please let us all know what insurance company you use. Oh, BTW, you need a new Ins co.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

11. Member
    Broke skeg on sportmaster. Adjuster said they would have it welded. Dealer supplied service bulletin to adjuster stating they are no approved repairs. New case and $3,900 later good to go. Progressive with Bob Luellen.

12. Member
    Sorry the original is not welded on

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Broke skeg on sportmaster. Adjuster said they would have it welded. Dealer supplied service bulletin to adjuster stating they are no approved repairs. New case and $3,900 later good to go. Progressive with Bob Luellen.
    +100 thats what im talkin bout

14. Member
    I agree totally with what everyone states about welds but. For a small chip north of six qrand is hard for me to swallow even if the insurance is paying. This if all the gears ans everything is fine of coarse. I look at it as a six grand aluminum chip. I know I know what Mercury says,

15. Member
    I welded one on a yamaha once, it broke off about a year later and I did not like the ride
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

I’ve had some welds and repairs done on smaller 50hp and less lowers. The welds are brittle and will never be “like new or good as new”. Just a small bump and it’s toast again. With these large motors and speed/forces applied, I could see a repair failing without any hit. Prolly why Merc says no to repair.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

17. Major Flagelator Gamblinman's Avatar
    The weld itself is actually stronger. The heat necessary to insure a good weld weakens surrounding material. Cast aluminum was never intended to be welded.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

18. Member
    Insurance agreed to replace case without much of an argument. Just got payment and hopefully parts aren't on national back order.

19. Member
    " Endeavor to Persevere " ........... Lone Watie movie Outlaw Josie Wales