Spare hub ?.....

Anyone buy a complete spare hub ‘ to carry while traveling’ I was told to buy the disc brake hub ? , that can be used on front or back axle !... I have looked at all the trailer part sites “ & Marine Master website “sucks” !....

2. Member
    I carry a complete sets of hubs, bearing, and seals including everything I need to change them in a
    plastic tote. When I hook up the boat I put the tote in the back of the truck.
    I think of the tote like a life vest for the trailer.
    Mike
    2019 Phoenix 721 pro xp

Mercury 250 pro xs
    2B575862

3. Member
    i have a complete replacement I carry. I think what and where to order in a sticky. I would not be qualified to install it myself (never done it) but having the parts lets someone else do it without delaying my travel for a week,
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

4. Member
    Just carry the parts and use normal wheel bearing grease for lube, and throw it all together in the proper order.
    "Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

2015 Phoenix 919 225 Yamaha SHO

5. Member
    Actually just changed out one yesterday because I had a real seal leaking. Only took about 30 minutes to complete (I clean the old grease off of everything) and then have to wait an hour for the rtv sealant to setup before adding the grease. The second one was a whole lot easier than the first. Had one go out a couple years ago and that was the "learning experience" and took a whole lot longer because I had never done it before. Nice part about these hubs it that you will see leaking long before you need to replace parts versus the old style that just die. I also have a "go tote" that has everything I need to change a tire or change a hub. Bought an Earthquake XT 1/2" cordless impact kit that stays in the tote. This thing is a beast for removing lug nuts.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

6. Member
    The disc brake hub can be used on either. I carry one of each. The seals are already pressed in and the bearing I keep pre-greased and ready to go in the hub. I just had to change on of mine on a trip we took across country. It takes no more than 20 min to change one out if you are prepared with the correct tools and parts. Trailer Parts superstore online has all of the parts you would need.

7. Member
    Has anyone found a youtube video that shows how to replace a vault? I have 2 spares but I've never changed one in my life.would love to watch a few videos to be prepared for the day

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    Has anyone found a youtube video that shows how to replace a vault? I have 2 spares but I've never changed one in my life.would love to watch a few videos to be prepared for the day
    It's pretty simple. If you have done a bearing replacement before you will have no problem. Do you have a complete assembly? Are they leaking? I would recommenced you change the stainless wear ring. If that has one tiny mark or groove in it they rear seal will leak.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Member
    Sorry to bring up an old post, but so I should just carry a spare vault hub? Or one of the cheaper pre-greased ones for emergency? Is there different vault hubs for braked vs non-braked? I have a single axle with brakes.

I would prefer to carry the whole assembly that can just slip on and go, because I had to change the old style one once on the side of the road, in my old Champion I had. I had just all the inside parts and I like to never got the old race out that was damaged.

Do all our boats use this same size? https://www.easternmarine.com/em-vau...it-138-116-oil
    2016 Phoenix 618 Pro / Mercury 175 Pro XS

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old post, but so I should just carry a spare vault hub? Or one of the cheaper pre-greased ones for emergency? Is there different vault hubs for braked vs non-braked? I have a single axle with brakes.

I would prefer to carry the whole assembly that can just slip on and go, because I had to change the old style one once on the side of the road, in my old Champion I had. I had just all the inside parts and I like to never got the old race out that was damaged.

Do all our boats use this same size? https://www.easternmarine.com/em-vau...it-138-116-oil
    i have been researching this too. i have couple out of state trips planned. I was looking at that link and was also wondering if for along side road be easier throw new hub on and use grease and bearing buddy? thoughts gentlemen?
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

Quote Originally Posted by JackJ View Post

The vault grease goes fluid (to liquid) near 90 - 100F. It leaked out of my grease gun and all over my garage floor. So, you can't really store a spare hub packed with Vault grease. The best you can do is have a spare hub, non greased, and have a few tubes of Vault grease packed with you. Mind you...the vault grease comes shipped inside plastic bags because it just plain leaks out of any container you put it in. Bottom line...you are probably better off keeping a spare hub packed with regular grease if you want to do a quick swap on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall256 View Post
    The vault grease goes fluid (to liquid) near 90 - 100F. It leaked out of my grease gun and all over my garage floor. So, you can't really store a spare hub packed with Vault grease. The best you can do is have a spare hub, non greased, and have a few tubes of Vault grease packed with you. Mind you...the vault grease comes shipped inside plastic bags because it just plain leaks out of any container you put it in. Bottom line...you are probably better off keeping a spare hub packed with regular grease if you want to do a quick swap on the road.
    Plus, to attach the bearing protector for the Vault hub you need a special PVC fitting to help drive it on right and you have to add a special loctite that's not found in most stores to the OD of the bearing protector before you pound it on. You don't install the bearing protector right and it comes off or leaks. This is all stuff that is better done in a controlled environment vs. on the side of the road somewhere. That's why I'd just use a plain grease hub as a quick repair on the road.

13. Member
    Makes sense. I will get one of the cheaper pre-greased ones. Will any 1-3/8" x 1-1/16" hub one with 5 bolts work or is there a specific one needed?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marshall256 View Post
    Plus, to attach the bearing protector for the Vault hub you need a special PVC fitting to help drive it on right and you have to add a special loctite that's not found in most stores to the OD of the bearing protector before you pound it on. You don't install the bearing protector right and it comes off or leaks. This is all stuff that is better done in a controlled environment vs. on the side of the road somewhere. That's why I'd just use a plain grease hub as a quick repair on the road.
    What if you had a leak on road and just drained it and throw a bearing buddy on and pump reg grease in to get home. Then do a complete vault fix or switch over to BB and grease
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

15. Member
    Well, in my past experience on other trailers it was my bearings that failed.
    If it was just a leak, I am sure that would work. I want to plan for worse case scenario.

When replacing the entire assembly (disc brake hub), do you have to bleed the brake lines or just un-attach and re-attach to the new unit?

Taking off and putting on no problem, but not sure on the brake lines.

17. Member
    I carry a kit that has the seals, grease/grease gun, hammer, and pvc part to get the seal in place. I also have a cordless impact (Harbor Freight Earthquake XT) and a bottle jack. All of this is in a tub that I carry when I'm towing. Works amazingly well and I put a lot of miles on in a year.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades