Pantera Classic Questions

I am coming out of a Champion and have been looking for the best boat out there now that it is time to change. Based on all my research the Bass Cat is undoubtedly my next move. I need a boat that can fit in my small garage but still give me fishing performance. I would love the Caracal but it does not fit in my space so the Pantera is it for me. My questions are around the Classic as compared to the Pantera II as the Classic seams to me, to be the best fishing platform in the Pantera line due to its front deck space, deck layout and added length.
    Question 1: Why has the better platform (IMO) been limited by Fuel capacity and the livewell system? Do we know if either of those will be changed by Bass Cat?
    Question 2: As it relates to rough water, does the Classic or the PII have better performance? Are the hulls the same or different. (I know there are better hulls for rough water in the Bass Cat line but I have to run the Pantera for reasons noted above?)
    Thanks in advance for any information any of you can share with me. I am very excited to be getting into the Bass Cat family!

2. Member
    1.) I believe the livewell system is different in the Classic is due to lack of space since the gas tank is right up against the livewell. Seems like fuel capacity could be bigger, but I like the spacious bilge area and large rear boxes and livewell. Maybe a small kicker tank would be a cool option.

2.) I've never driven a PII but my classic has been fine in rough water. I've speared one wave and have never had side spray come over the boat. The hulls are going to be quite different. The classic is longer, and has a smaller beam than the PII. PII will be a bit faster.

I chose a Classic over a P2 for the below reasons:
    -Wider at foot pedal
    - Fuller deck (no cut out)
    -Offset deck lids (can open compartments with many rods on the deck no problem)
    -Bilge access is awesome
    - Step pads on each side of boat on the rear deck
    - Under seat storage
    - 2 coolers, I use the step cooler as a day box

3. Member
    CKII What engine do you run and what is your range on a full tank?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CK11 View Post

I chose a Classic over a P2 for the below reasons:
    -Wider at foot pedal
    - Fuller deck (no cut out)
    -Offset deck lids (can open compartments with many rods on the deck no problem)
    -Bilge access is awesome
    - Step pads on each side of boat on the rear deck
    - Under seat storage
    - 2 coolers, I use the step cooler as a day box
    I could have written that post as I had the same reasons to choose the Classic over the P2 and I have not regretted it. It's great in rough water as well.
    I don't know what kind of range it has because I just put in what I will use for a trip or two and don't run really far but if you don't run wide open and find a good cruising RPM it seems to be pretty good on fuel.

5. Member
    I'm not sure on range either. I think I've read where BCB has said 90-100ish miles is possible? I could be wrong on that. I fish small lakes and don't have to run a lot so I fill up only after several trips. I run a Mercury 200 ProXS 4S.

6. Member
    I looked at both and chose the PII. Yes, I liked the deck and bilge access better on the Classic, but that is it. I like the seats and live wells better on the PII. With water temps near 90 degrees here in Florida live wells are important. I have plenty of storage on my PII and flip with my partner on the front deck and we never have space issues. We are both over 6ft and 230 and 245 pounds so we are not small. The holeshot is unbelievably fast, up until 60mph you will pass most big rigs with 250s. Mine tops out between 71 and 72 mph loaded with 2 poles on the back and 2 anglers. The front vee is cut extremely sharp and literally slices waves/chop.

As for BassCat they are an awesome company, they build one hell of a boat and their customer service is second to none. Good luck with your decision, you can't go wrong with either Pantera.
    Brad Krone

Coming out go a champion you will prefer the new classic to the P2. I have had a P2 and ridden in the newer classic. I also used to run champions. P2 is a fine boat but I think you will find the classic closer to what you are used too.

8. Member
    Thank you all for the responses. I have identified a low hour PII with one owner and it is immaculate. I am still torn between the two and it seams to me that the classic should have the better live well system and somehow get a few more gallons of gas as I would prefer the layout and size of the front deck.
    Either way I am really looking forward to getting in to a Bass Cat either way.
    Thanks

9. Member
    I went from a 2015 P2 to a 2019 Classic. The rough water ride is very good with both for 19 footers, with, maybe a very slight edge to the P2. For me, the Classic with its larger and wider front deck is a much better fishing platform. They are different hulls. For the same reasons cited by CK11, I prefer my Classic. With my 200 Mercury 4S, cruising mid range around 45-50mph will get 140-150 miles consuming around 5 mpg with the 30 gallon tank the Classic.Fuel economy was about the same on the P2 with the 200 2 stoke, but, as you know, the tank was a little larger (6 gallons more).
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Member
    Both are excellent rigs.
    The Classic is more of a budget friendly starter rig. Was designed with the high school and College angler in mind.
    Don't confuse budget with quality. Its Bass Cat through out when it comes to build and quality.

The PII will be the better big water boat between the two, but not by much.
    Handling and performance will also go to the PII, again, not by much.

Better seats in the PII.
    Live wells are larger in the PII. It also has the Pump in-Pump out on the control panel. Aerate and recirculation of the live wells are also on the control panel with option of different times for each.
    The current offering of the PII SP from BCB also comes with a padded deck, Stainless steel Marine town locker latches.
    The PII comes with color options of the entire boat.
    The Classic Cap can only come in white.

The Classic bilge access is much better then the PII.
    The Positives of the Classic have already been mentioned above. One of the obvious is the larger front deck.

If you can, drive and fish out of both. You cant go wrong with either.

Don
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

11. Member
    I have a Classic. I had the seats custom (extra padding). It has been a great boat. Has kept me alive in the real nasty stuff. The live well on the classic is fine. It has worked just as it should and keeps my fish alive. The front deck in the classic is bigger than the front deck of the eyra! I wish I would have ordered with a second bilge. I’ll be having a higher gph bilge installed
    in place of the existing. My passenger grab handle came loose. The only way to fix was to either drill a big access hole and cover with a plate or drill a big hole and put in a speaker. I went the speaker route. I think a hydraulic jack plate would have been a wise choice as well so I could tuck the motor in the rough stuff. I would recommend starting with a 22Fury 3 blade for a prop. I have a 23. I don’t get the rpms I want. I get 71mph I’m going to be testing a Croxton 4XL 21 soon.

12. Member
    Oh and you can go about a hundred miles in the classic. Less if you are at elevation. I wish it had a bigger tank. Fished an event this past fall where I really could have used an extra 5-10 gallons so I wouldn’t have had to stop and get gas on a long run.

The Pantera Classic was built as a starter boat and not a true hard core tournament platform. Some aspects also are cost control measures as you easily can add $200 here, $400 there and $700 in another place, or three. After which impacts retail pricing into the $4,000 to $5,000 range.

14. Member
    Are you sure you can’t fit a caracal with a swing away? The classic and caracal are very close in length?

15. Member
    Sorry I’m late to the party it but I’ve had my classic for over a year

the biggest issue I thought I was gonna have was the livewell since I’m big into tournaments but even in the Texas heat the livewell in the classic did fine

the ride is fantastic very dry in rough water

you can pm if you want I’ll give the whole list of what my boat has
    2020 pantera classic
    200 mercury 4s

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZethKinnettFishing View Post
    I have a Classic. I had the seats custom (extra padding). It has been a great boat. Has kept me alive in the real nasty stuff. The live well on the classic is fine. It has worked just as it should and keeps my fish alive. The front deck in the classic is bigger than the front deck of the eyra! I wish I would have ordered with a second bilge. I’ll be having a higher gph bilge installed
    in place of the existing. My passenger grab handle came loose. The only way to fix was to either drill a big access hole and cover with a plate or drill a big hole and put in a speaker. I went the speaker route. I think a hydraulic jack plate would have been a wise choice as well so I could tuck the motor in the rough stuff. I would recommend starting with a 22Fury 3 blade for a prop. I have a 23. I don’t get the rpms I want. I get 71mph I’m going to be testing a Croxton 4XL 21 soon.
    If somebody is looking for a good walk through of the Classic, check out his ^ review on Youtube.