Portajohn

Mounting VA State Inspection Sticker on Trailer

I'll soon be taking my Ranger Trailer in for its VA Inspection as required by the Commonwealth. In the past I've had nothing but trouble keeping my inspection stickers mounted on the trailer tongue due to the coating on the trailer. I've tried nylon reinforced tape and/or superglue in the past with little success. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Member
    I have mine mounted on my stratos trailer near the tongue. Inspector placed it facing the drivers side of trailer. My paint finish is smooth. I am assuming your trailer has the road armor. I cannot remmeber is there a smooth finish on your trailer near the tounge?

3. Portajohn
    The trailer has the road armor finish.

4. Member
    I inspect many motorcycles with a removable plate just for they're sticker. You could do the same if you didn't mind putting a small hole in the tongue.

5. Member
    We don't have to display motorcycle and trailer stickers, just have them available if we get stopped. People barely put plates on trailers and bikes here, if they even have them... I bet there are more undocumented trailers on the road than registered.

6. Member
    That is an issue with the road armor finish. The one on my pontoon trailer wants to peel too but it stays on enough to not fall off.

As long as it doesn't fall off you are good. You can try to get a piece of stainless and connect it to the trailer and put sticker on that.
    Semper Fi

7. Member
    I would not drill any holes. My first thought is to store it in the boat and present it if you are ever asked. Quart sized ziplock freezer bag and tucked somewhere safe.

8. Portajohn
    According to local law enforcement agencies, and a careful reading of the Virginia Code I am required to display an inspection sticker on my trailer because it has brakes. One only has to drive through the parking lot on any day at any time, and you will see trailers with no license plates, bald tires, no safety chains, lights and wiring dragging behind trailers, etc. etc, but they don't have to be inspected for safety issues because they do not have brakes. I was wrong in not having my boat trailer inspected and I paid for my sin....thanks for the input.

9. Member
    It’s time for mine to be inspected. The place I used in the past is no longer in business. Where do you take your for your inspection?

10. Portajohn
    I get mine inspected at Back Bay Auto Repair, 1064 Princess Anne Road, Virginia Beach. Phone: 426-2945. Good folks and they don't sweat the small stuff.
    Last edited by Portajohn; 01-04-2021 at 05:47 PM.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by Portajohn View Post
    I'll soon be taking my Ranger Trailer in for its VA Inspection as required by the Commonwealth. In the past I've had nothing but trouble keeping my inspection stickers mounted on the trailer tongue due to the coating on the trailer. I've tried nylon reinforced tape and/or superglue in the past with little success. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Interesting that you post this as over the weekend I looked at my trailer sitting in the garage and thought to myself that I'd better get around to arranging for my trailer inspection next month. Then I looked closer and thought "hey, where is my old sticker"? I guess it fell off so I too need to find a way around this. What a pain.

12. Member
    I put a square aluminum plate the size of the inspection sticker on my tongue. Attatched it with wire, but you could use zip ties.
    2013 Phoenix 721 XP
    2013 Mercury 250 Pro XS
    Lowrance HDS Carbon 9 and HDS 9 gen 3
    Twin 10' Talons

13. Member
    If winch stand is held on by u-boats you could make a plate that goes between them and have sticker placed there.
    Semper Fi

When the last one I had started to peel, I put gorilla tape on the edges. Kept it there until the next inspection. I have a road armor trailer.
    Wishing I was Fishing

15. Member
    I am a VA. state inspector. The sticker goes on the left front of trailer frame,usually the tongue. If it will not stay on make a plate out of stainless and attach to trailer first. Do it for motorcycles all the time. Keep receipt with the BOAT!! If it falls off it is your responsibility to check. Trailers without brakes are exempt from inspection. BTW, their is a dick of a cop around 460 that gets a hard on for trailers. Has pulled many of my race car friends going to dinwiddie race track.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Thanks for the advice, attaching a plate is a good idea.

17. Member
    Plate is a good idea. Somewhere up there should be a bolt you can you can mount it behind. On my 1991, I'd pull two of the 4 bolts holding my tongue jack together, place plate (90° bend) and put bolts back.