Thread: New carpet /210

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Pat Goff
    Just installed safe floor on the scooter. I am quite impressed, no slip, not hard and a lifetime warranty. If you're looking for a carpet substitute,might give it a look.

Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

2. Member
    Looks great! where do you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    Thanks for the info Mark. I don't know what a cauls is. Someone else reported using a ratchet strap on the lid sides. Did you glue down the pad and wait to attach the carpet until the next day after the pad glue had cured ?
    What Doyce describes below is a caul. That's what I did too. Got a bunch of 1/2 x 2" furring strips and cut them to size. I also did the ratchet strap thing on all the lids. Just used some old 2" ratchet straps and it made a huge difference, especially on the corners. And yes, what I did was to get 3-4 of the lids fully cleaned and ready to go, then apply the padding to all of them. Then, I did the carpeting on them one at a time, clamped them up and let them dry. I only had enough clamps to do 2 small / medium lids or 1 large lid at a time. I let them all sit, clamped up, for at least 48 hours before removing the clamps/straps/cauls.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    When did you do this ? How long has it been ? Did you put adhesive between the pad and the carpet and/or just between the pad and the deck ?
    I did this just over a month ago. Used the contact cement between the boat and the padding and then again between the padding and the carpet. Coated boat and padding then stuck together. Then did the same coating the padding and the back of carpet and then stuck together. I brushed on all the contact cement. Used two gallons to do it all. I cut the padding to about a 45 degree angle around the edges. Used the wood strips and clamped them all around the lid edges of each lid.
    0F8183B6-FFD8-4F52-891F-E0598159041F.jpeg
    AB3D0BB5-701A-489F-81B0-2DE46E1AD7C2.jpeg

Sorry about the upside down pic. Not sure what happened.

Looks nice Doyce!

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizzou211 View Post
    Looks nice Doyce!
    Ditto!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    Ditto!
    Thanks!

8. Member
    Yes it does look nice. Still on the fence about doing it myself or having someone else do it. Thanks for all the info and tips. The safefloor looks great also Pat !
    GETFISHED !!!

9. Member
    Bass Cats come with 24 oz, my Champ has 20 oz. that I just had installed. The 24 oz will make the lids to tight.

10. Member
    I also used the Basscat 24 oz and padded decks......I pretty much agree with everything in Mizzou211 post. Good scissors & sharp blades & learn from mistakes. The hardest part for me was the aluminum trim ring......I had to re rivet the entire thing.

its definitely a job that looks easier then it is.......took me a couple days......but when its done you'll thank yourself when your out bare footing it and catching fish.

I also re carpeted cockpit & totally wish I had thought that through. Carpet holds the grim down there and well ya......a marine tech type thing would just let it wash down drain. hindsight is 20/20

11. Member
    ​I also used the Basscat 24 oz and padded decks......I pretty much agree with everything in Mizzou211 post. Good scissors & sharp blades & learn from mistakes. The hardest part for me was the aluminum trim ring......I had to re rivet the entire thing.

its definitely a job that looks easier then it is.......took me a couple days......but when its done you'll thank yourself when your out bare footing it and catching fish.

I also re carpeted cockpit & totally wish I had thought that through. Carpet holds the grim down there and well ya......a marine tech type thing would just let it wash down drain. hindsight is 20/20
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jayzo7161 View Post
    ​I also used the Basscat 24 oz and padded decks......I pretty much agree with everything in Mizzou211 post. Good scissors & sharp blades & learn from mistakes. The hardest part for me was the aluminum trim ring......I had to re rivet the entire thing.

That looks great man! I definitely learned a lot in doing mine. I also agree that if I had to do it again, I'd likely sea dek the cockpit area, and maybe the seat bench/back as well. But overall, I'm thrilled with the end result. Yes, the 24 oz carpet + pad does make the lids tight, but by no means unusable.

The aluminum trim ring gave me fits too in some places. Specifically where it interfaced with the new areas that had carpet and padding both. The rivets insert in about a 30 degree angle and I had to go through several trials of rivet lengths and sizes. I even bought a pneumatic rivet puller for the task. Truth is, I STILL have a few rivets I haven't been able to get seated correctly. I'll get them this spring, but yeah, the trim has been a PITA.

13. Member
    I did adhesive between decks, lids and padding first........then more adhesive on pad for carpet.......I think the padding did not take that long and a no brainer if your doing the carpet.......I also cut the 2" planks and when pulling the carpet around lit I used a ton of wood clamps to hold tight until glue set up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12