Thread: Workout Plans

Workout Plans

Anyone got any weight lifting routines/plans you care to share? Part of my resolution goals. Haven't lifted in over a year. If I got a plan, I shouldn't have any excuses to workout.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

2. Member
    About the only thing i will be doing is some curls and i use my bells on a fitness ball to build up to 150 set ups a day starting out with two 25 dumb bells cris crossed on my chest, after a couple weeks i up it to 50 pounds bells in both hands doing 25 set up at a time. I have to use the big ball because of back problems. It flat out helps tone up a badly out of shape fat old man.

I am 53, been in the gym since I was 16, no, I am not an expert, just trial and error over the years. I have a total body workout I perform 3 nights a week. It has an A and B component, so one week you do A, B, A, the next week you do B, A, B. Works for me and keeps me in great shape.

Routine A
    Barbell Deadlift, 4 sets, 6 reps each, rest 90 seconds between sets
    Dumbbell bench press, 4 sets, 6 reps each, rest 90 seconds between sets.
    Dumbbell Bulgarian split squat, 4 sets, 8 reps each, rest 75 seconds between sets.
    Single Arm inverted rows, 4 sets, 8 reps each, rest 75 seconds between sets.
    seated dumbbell curl to shoulder press, 3 sets, 10 reps each, rest 60 seconds between sets
    half kneeling rotational chop, 3 sets, 10 reps each, rest 60 seconds between sets

Routine B
    Barbell front squat, 4 sets, 6 reps each, rest 90 seconds between sets
    Incline barbell bench press, 4 sets, 6 reps each, rest 90 seconds between sets
    dumbbell straight leg dead lift, 4 sets, 8 reps each, rest 75 seconds between sets
    alternating dumbbell lying triceps extension, 4 sets, 8 reps each, rest 75 seconds between sets
    inverted row, 3 sets, 10 reps each, rest 60 seconds between sets.
    single leg standing dumbbell calf raise, 3 sets, 10 reps each, rest 60 seconds between sets.

I do not know your knowlege of weight lifting, so forgive me if I offend you, but you can youtube any of those to see the technique. Word to the wise, if you have never performed a bulgarian split squat, they are killers. Start with 5 pound dumbbells, or no weight at all. If you have never done a straight leg dead lift, it is all about the hip hinge, no pulling with the upper body. Done correctly they are awesome for your glutes and hamstring area. Lastly, the rest between sets is just as important as the actual lifting.....good luck.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

4. Member
    I like the Achv peak videos on youtube. He does a 20 min legs and a 20 min upper body dumbbell work out.
    Other days I do a 10 min abs or yoga.
    Usually do 1-2 miles on treadmill everyday.

5. Member
    Okielure your very ambitious. Well wishes on keeping your New Years resolution.
    Goobs
    Lake Hartwell
    Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    I am 53, been in the gym since I was 16, no, I am not an expert, just trial and error over the years. I have a total body workout I perform 3 nights a week. It has an A and B component, so one week you do A, B, A, the next week you do B, A, B. Works for me and keeps me in great shape.

Routine A
    Barbell Deadlift, 4 sets, 6 reps each, rest 90 seconds between sets
    Dumbbell bench press, 4 sets, 6 reps each, rest 90 seconds between sets.
    Dumbbell Bulgarian split squat, 4 sets, 8 reps each, rest 75 seconds between sets.
    Single Arm inverted rows, 4 sets, 8 reps each, rest 75 seconds between sets.
    seated dumbbell curl to shoulder press, 3 sets, 10 reps each, rest 60 seconds between sets
    half kneeling rotational chop, 3 sets, 10 reps each, rest 60 seconds between sets

Routine B
    Barbell front squat, 4 sets, 6 reps each, rest 90 seconds between sets
    Incline barbell bench press, 4 sets, 6 reps each, rest 90 seconds between sets
    dumbbell straight leg dead lift, 4 sets, 8 reps each, rest 75 seconds between sets
    alternating dumbbell lying triceps extension, 4 sets, 8 reps each, rest 75 seconds between sets
    inverted row, 3 sets, 10 reps each, rest 60 seconds between sets.
    single leg standing dumbbell calf raise, 3 sets, 10 reps each, rest 60 seconds between sets.

I do not know your knowlege of weight lifting, so forgive me if I offend you, but you can youtube any of those to see the technique. Word to the wise, if you have never performed a bulgarian split squat, they are killers. Start with 5 pound dumbbells, or no weight at all. If you have never done a straight leg dead lift, it is all about the hip hinge, no pulling with the upper body. Done correctly they are awesome for your glutes and hamstring area. Lastly, the rest between sets is just as important as the actual lifting.....good luck.
    No offense taken here at all, yes did those split squats in College years ago. They are definitely killers! Thanks for the reply!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

7. Member
    should start off with what are your goals. What do you wish to achieve. Gain muscle, lose weight, general health, etc.

Then try a few different routines/approaches and find one that you like that fits your schedule. From there you can narrow it down to more specific lifts. As 200xp said, finding the right routine for your goals takes some trial and error. The one thing that remains is consistency and dedication. Even those days you don't feel like doing it has to be done.

1 month down; down 12 lbs from weight training every other day and cardio on off days; cut breads n sugary products out. Lookin to lose 18 more and tone up. Just switched up the weight training, motivation and desire remains.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

9. Member
    Going down in weight makes you feel better for sure. I am down roughly 20lbs in the last 3 weeks. The most I have ever went down was about 100 lbs in a little under a year. Eating the right things at the right times are crucial to going down.

3 months down, down a total of 17 lbs. Maintaining healthy eating and limiting bad carbs. Running twice a week and doing upper body exercises on off days.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

Quote Originally Posted by OkieLure View Post
    3 months down, down a total of 17 lbs. Maintaining healthy eating and limiting bad carbs. Running twice a week and doing upper body exercises on off days.
    Congrats on the weight loss.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

4 months down, down 20lbs. Still running twice a week and push ups on off days (45 x 4). My clean eating hasn't been up to par this month. Gonna shoot for a better effort this month.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

1 more month down; 1 more less pound. Exercising has been inconsistent, eating healthy has also been inconsistent. Not a great month. Probably give it a rest til Aug.-Sept.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175