From square bills to what?

Never been a fan of cranks. Had a good year with square bills shallow and want to try deeper. Really love the Spro Little John. So, what's next? MD? Other make/model?

2. Member
    Little John DD is great. Its rated for 16-20 and you can get every bit of that out of one. I run them anywhere from 8-22 ft at times. They also come in a super DD thats 20-25. Also check out the Spro Rock Crawlers for mid depth and Strike King 5xd and 6xd for deep. Deep cranking calls for a dedicated rod in my opinion and would suggest a Dobyns 805CBRM. Be warned buying crankbaits can turn into a sickness.
    Last edited by Menacer; 01-03-2021 at 12:21 PM.
    2006 Stratos 294 Pro XL.2005 Yamaha 200 VMAX 3.1L. 8" Hydro Dynamics Rapid Jack. Ultrex 112 I-Plot link. 2 Helix 10 Chirp Mega SI GPS G2N.

3. Member
    I would suggest the DT series from Rapala. I use the Dt4 and Dt6 around here a lot.

4. Member
    Try a Norman DD22, It has been around a long time and because of that it is often overlooked!!

5. Member
    Anyone have experience with the Megabass square I’ll? Saw a RB where he called it a secret bait of the pro’s
    Red Sox in 6!

6. Member
    Strike King 6XD is my favorite 15ft+ crankbait. Can’t go wrong with any of the Rapala DT’s as well. I’ve also had a lot of success lately with the Berkely Frittside series.

7. Member
    Rapala DT series are an excellent line of crankbaits..OSP makes some great crankbaits if you don’t mind spending a little more

8. Banned
    Any of the Norman DD series of cranks will work for most deep and medium cranking. They are affordable too in comparison to many other brands of crankbaits

9. Member
    I use bandits. 100, 200,300. Good cost, good selection of colors. If I was gonna get into deeper cranking, go with the Norman deep little n and dd22. They cast well, great colors, and a nice swimming action. Fat free shad was THE crank when they came out.
    2019 Alumacraft 14.5 escape tiller "child support"
    2018 Ford fiesta "pistachio"
    1992 kawasaki zx11 "legend"

10. Member
    What are you guys thoughts on the Berkley dredger 25.5 for deep divers?

Quote Originally Posted by liljakec View Post
    Any of the Norman DD series of cranks will work for most deep and medium cranking. They are affordable too in comparison to many other brands of crankbaits
    And the Norman Deep Little N is a good mid-range crank. 3XD another good mid-range crank. LC 1.5 DD if you can find them. So many good cranks out there these days to choose from.

12. Dogfish_Jones
    Spro's just came out with their LJ MD model with a tungsten rattle in it. I bought 7 of them but yet to give them a try.

My go to crankbait are the Spro's series. I have them from 1-3' from 7-9' all the way to 25'. I know this past year I caught all my biggest bass on the Spro's 25+ cranks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumping Jimmy View Post
    I would suggest the DT series from Rapala. I use the Dt4 and Dt6 around here a lot.
    Definitely a good choice. DTs are sometimes thought of as cold water baits, and I'll just say that thinking of them that way is a mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Anyone have experience with the Megabass square I’ll? Saw a RB where he called it a secret bait of the pro’s
    The S-crank? If that's the one, it's a great bait to fish when covering water as it has an awesome "wandering" action and it definitely gets bit. If you're banging it off specific targets it's not as good as it often will wander right away from the cover you're trying to deflect it off of, and otherwise it's a nightmare in grass as that wandering action makes it get fouled up really quickly. So I'd say a great bait that has specific applications, though they may be different than what you'd think of when thinking of a squarebill.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    What are you guys thoughts on the Berkley dredger 25.5 for deep divers?
    The entire Dredger series is really, really good. I haven't thrown the 25.5 as I just don't often fish cranks that deep, but I've thrown the shallower versions and they are usually my go-to for mid- to deep-diving cranks right after a DT. They get down to their advertised depth quickly, come through cover well, are a much smaller profile than other deep divers so they're something the fish likely haven't seen, don't wear you out nearly as bad as other deep divers, and they generally just get bit!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

14. Member
    Thanks Drew,yes the S crank. Thanks for the info.
    Red Sox in 6!