Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Moderator
    Sounds like an easy fix.

2. Member
    What kind of shoulder did the shaft have originally ?

3. Member
    on Lake Hartwell in Westminster, SC 29693
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Emory cloth both parts slap it together and run it! Seriously, I’d try it first

yep

clean it up and send it

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cast 1Fish View Post
    Don’t think so, was installed like the drawings and pictures full flat surface toward motor
    Umm, Don't think so, concave side toward motor, flat side to seat prop and push the taper for centering.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Quote Originally Posted by blkfalc4 View Post
    Umm, Don't think so, concave side toward motor, flat side to seat prop and push the taper for centering.
    Maybe I did not explain it correctly, the washer has a fully flat side and a side with a small part that is raised around the center. The fully flat side was toward the motor and the side that has the small raised center was toward the prop.

Thank you everyone who has chimed in here, after looking over all the replies I feel that since I did not hit anything, it must be a issue of my doing...probably did not get a good torque on it or something...I also need to be more diligent on checking it more often...it's easy to get complacent.

I will take a wire brush to it, then use emery cloth to clean it up. Just hoping the shaft is not scored. Would a small amount of scoring or pitting would be normal or ok to reinstall a new washer and run it.

7. Member
    Good reason why one should check prop torque nut periodically. Even a properly torqued one can loosen over time, just from the washer to shaft forming/deformation.

8. #FRB
    I always spin and shake my prop when the boat comes out of the water. Just an OCD thing.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

9. Member
    Worked rehabbing vacuum furnace pumps. The lobe end shafts were worked over with a 3m scotch pad type disc on a rotary tool to keep from scoring. Most were in service for 30 years or so and had some dings to buff out. Start with a fine pad and don't bear down.

10. Banned
    If you want to be sure its not a bent shaft just put a dial indicator on it. If it's still running true polish it up put a new thrust washer on it and go.

Well I got everything cleaned up, but the shaft is scored and the taper ate up a bit. Looks like I will be calling around for a new prop shaft install.

I am very familiar with Mercury propshafts (I personally guarantee more than anyone on this website) and I can tell you the tolerances on that taper are very critical for prop positoning and fastening.

Get a new propshaft AND hub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by dwtaylor View Post
    I am very familiar with Mercury propshafts (I personally guarantee more than anyone on this website) and I can tell you the tolerances on that taper are very critical for prop positoning and fastening.

Get a new propshaft AND hub kit.
    I don't think his ETEC has a mercury propshaft....

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12