WTF Happened and How much is this Going to Cost to Fix

Not real sure what I am looking at, but it looks bad to me...lol. I was going through the boat and doing my normal new year maintenance and found the prop was loose...upon further investigation I found the nut was only hand tight. The cotter pin and everything was still in place, so I took everything apart and found this mess on the thrust washer. I have no idea what or how this could happen. I never hit anything with the prop, or did anything that would be a cause for concern...I have no idea how long it was like this either since I never felt or heard any vibration or performance loss. Can someone with a clue chime in please.

2014 ETEC 150
    Merc Tempest Plus Prop

Prop1.jpgProp2.jpgProp 3.jpgProp 4.jpg

2. Member
    Looks like the thrust washer was put on backwards with the small side of the taper going the wrong way on the shaft. It's supposed to slide up on the shaft and get tight when you torque it but it looks like it just kept wearing into the washer and the shaft. You may have to have new shaft put in the lower unit. Take it to some one who works on Evinrude motors.

Looks like the thrust washer was put on backwards with the small side of the taper going the wrong way on the shaft.

You might get by with cleaning up the prop shaft with emory cloth, at least get the burrs off.. Get a new thrust washer installed correctly.. Check prop for clearance and try it. Be sure to re tighten after first use and check for prop clearance again..

I got everything cleaned up, but the shaft is scored and the taper ate up a bit. Looks like I will be calling around for a new prop shaft install.

5. Member
    If you don't have a new shaft put in now you probably will soon as that taper will let the prop vibrate until you break something.