Early Spring Crappie

Been coming to Weiss for several years and know it has its up and downs. Last spring was one of the worst we've seen in a while. Do you all think this spring will be better? If not, which lake around Weiss would you think would be best. We typically fish it mid to late February. Thanks

2. Member
    I have been going every spring for 10 years and I have deffiantly send a downward swing in the fishing. I think these major spring floods are hurting the fish population.

3. Member
    Some of the biggest crappie in Alabama are in Pickwick lake and not many people fish for them. February is prime for biggest crappie but weather can be a factor. I suggest you hire Roger Gant to take you first day then fish on your own. Just Google Roger he is easy to find. Last time we fished with him in February our biggest 10 weighed 22 pounds and 10 ounces. BTW JP Coleman state park ( Mississippi) is great place to stay and Roger will probably meet you there. Good luck

4. Member
    Thanks for the info 5Keepers.

I agree Scott. Which the harvest was terrible last year so hopefully it will make up some for the poor spawns.

5. Member
    Neely Henry on the other side of the Weiss dam is a good crappie lake but it was down last year as well.