Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Daiwa Tatula Spinning Rod 7'3" Medium

Does anyone have experience with this specific rod, its the cork handled rod, not the elites. If you have used it can you share youre thoughts, is it stiff, soft, have a light tip etc.? I have the 7’ rod and Im thinking of getting the 7’3, spec wise it should be softer and thats what I want, but there arent any locally to compare. I’d most likley be ordering it online.

Thanks in advance.

2. Member
    I have a Tatula Spinning Rod 7'2" Med Hvy, it is definitely a stiffer action. I would go with Medium action for sure if you want a softer action.

3. Member
    I have 5 of these rods including the one you are asking about .. in my opinion (and u might get a few different ones )) it is a great medium action rod and is softer than the 7'2" medium heavy . And it is not tip heavy at all.. again ju a t my opinion so take it for what it is..
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NRXfever View Post
    I have 5 of these rods including the one you are asking about .. in my opinion (and u might get a few different ones )) it is a great medium action rod and is softer than the 7'2" medium heavy . And it is not tip heavy at all.. again ju a t my opinion so take it for what it is..
    Hows the tip?

5. Member
    Are you actually looking for a longer rod? Or you trying to get a rod like the 7' M you have now just with a softer top so you figured goin longer? Not sure what application you intend using the rod for but I own the 7'1" ML in this particular model and it just has that perfect soft tip but not too soft (real noodlely) with a smooth transition into the backbone.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfoot17 View Post
    Are you actually looking for a longer rod? Or you trying to get a rod like the 7' M you have now just with a softer top so you figured goin longer? Not sure what application you intend using the rod for but I own the 7'1" ML in this particular model and it just has that perfect soft tip but not too soft (real noodlely) with a smooth transition into the backbone.
    Yes, I’m looking for a longer rod with a softer tip than the 7’, only looking at the Tatula right now. Im going to throw tubes and want to make long casts.

7. Member
    Called The Tackle Trap today and learned the 7’3 medium is actually a drop shot rod so isnt going to work for mw to throw tubes. Guess Ill keep looking around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayj View Post
    Called The Tackle Trap today and learned the 7’3 medium is actually a drop shot rod so isnt going to work for mw to throw tubes. Guess Ill keep looking around.
    It's a medium extra fast called a Shaky Head/Underspin rod, Randy Howell model. It is actually a fantastic tube rod in general, unless you're using really bulky tubes and say a 1/2 oz head. If you're in the 1/4 oz jig head + tube zone, this is a great choice. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other specific questions about this model and its capabilities. It is a very popular drop shot rod for guys in the south who use larger weights and larger baits which is where the description of a drop shot rod came from when you called in.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    It's a medium extra fast called a Shaky Head/Underspin rod, Randy Howell model. It is actually a fantastic tube rod in general, unless you're using really bulky tubes and say a 1/2 oz head. If you're in the 1/4 oz jig head + tube zone, this is a great choice. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any other specific questions about this model and its capabilities. It is a very popular drop shot rod for guys in the south who use larger weights and larger baits which is where the description of a drop shot rod came from when you called in.
    The cork handle Tatula is a Randy Howell model? I see the silver Tatulas with pros names but not any of the cork hanlde rods.
    Ill send you a pm.

Thank you

The cork handle Tatula is a Randy Howell model? I see the silver Tatulas with pros names but not any of the cork hanlde rods.
    Ill send you a pm.

Thank you
    It's the same blank, literally. It has different cosmetics and components. Feel free to send me a PM and I'll be glad to assist.

11. Banned
    I have this rod, yes it's "drop shot" but it's not. I toss it with wacky worms as well as dragged tubes in the fall. It's actually a great all around rod. Pm me you email address and I'll send you a short vid of me fighting a 5lbs plus smallie with it, give you idea of its action.

I have the same 7'3"M Tatula and use it for Keitechs and heavier (1/4 oz) Ned rigs for Lake Erie smallies. The tip is perfect for what I'm using it for and would also be for dragging tubes. It says Dropshot on the rod, but I prefer a shorter rod for dropshotting with a softer tip. Buy with confidence.

13. Member
    Thanks everyone. I ordered one from Tackle Trap and ahould have it this week.

14. Member
    Glad I stumbled on this thread as I'm looking at the same rod to use as my primary ned rod, for both deep and shallow with up to 1/4 heads on the great lakes, would the 7'3" be too stiff as a dedicated ned rod? The other option I was debating was the 7'1" ML Tatula (non-elite)

Quote Originally Posted by Shermy View Post
    Glad I stumbled on this thread as I'm looking at the same rod to use as my primary ned rod, for both deep and shallow with up to 1/4 heads on the great lakes, would the 7'3" be too stiff as a dedicated ned rod? The other option I was debating was the 7'1" ML Tatula (non-elite)
    Depending on what weight Ned heads you will be using, I'd say the 7'1" ML for 3/16 or less and the 7'3" M for 1/4 and heavier

16. Member
    Excellent, thanks, I only use either 1/8 or 3/16 heads so the 7'1" ML sounds like it would fit, I do have the 7' ML Tatula Elite (Drop shot rod) so how would the action of the regular 7'1" Tatula ML XF compare? Are they pretty much the exact same action or completely different?

17. Member
    Take a look at the Diawa Kage 7’3 multi purpose.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

The 7-3 Tatula cork handle is my Tube, grub, Neko rod. Jayj you definitely like the rod!

19. Member
    Thanks for the feedback, sounds like the 7'3" may be more versatile for my needs and ned rigging in deeper waters. The Kage I will take a look at also if I can find one in stock nearby. Going to throw another question out ....how would the 7'3" Tatula match up against the 7'3" MXF Victory spinning rod?...only ask as one of the local shops here has a 30% off sale on St. Croix rods so it has me thinking. Heard the Victory Rods are lighter and better balance than typical SC rods and this particular model is similar in action and basically a cheaper version of the 7'3" NRX 872 ?

20. Member
    I'm looking at this 7'3 tatula elite spinner. Seems to be a good action for dropshot and other finesse baits. I assume its the same backbone as the ehrler just with an extra fast tip?
    i use 3/16 or 1/4 ounce drop shot, light neko rigs. Cali fishing any thoughts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast